Public transportation in Christchurch

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Christchurch ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Christchurch?

Thanks in advance for participating!

I am a regularly visitor to Christchurch and highly recommend the bus system.  It is extremely reliable and frequent.  If you purchase a Metro card ((NZ $10) you only need to swipe on the bus.  I travelled all over the place on this little card and saw many sights of the city and surrounds very cheaply.  It is very safe.  I put $20 on my card and travelled about 100km on this. I suspect each fare is only around $3.  Compared to Queensland transport (where I currently live) it was so reliable and efficient. And it has always been that way in Christchurch. For example buses were running again shortly after the major earthquake in Feb 2011.  And it's very safe. Not only that drivers are so friendly and music plays! It's a delight to catch a bus there. (Today in Brisbane the grumpy driver left two people waiting at the bus stop!! That is typical of this place.) I was only talking about the joys of Christchurch public transport this morning to the woman sitting behind me, when I then saw your query so thought I had to say something!

Hello kiwiannie.

Welcome to Expat.com!

Thank you for contributing :)

Aurélie