Public transportation in Manila

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Manila ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Manila?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Public transport in Metro Manila is:
1) tricycle - exposed to elements, especially pollution. But cheap
2) Jeepney - exposed to elements, esp pollution, cheap
3) Bus - in city, they cause a lot of jams, cheap. some have a/c.
4) MRT - cheap, but limited rails
5) Taxi - best to get where you need to go in comfort. When raining, forget about it.

If you commute to office and need to arrive clean, then its primarily taxi. I sweat a lot, so could not survive on jeepney or trike. Also, the amount of pollution the buses put out is horendouse, and the jeepneys tag right behind. Everyone has a bandanna wrapped around the head, like that does much to stop the pollutants.

To get to the MRT, will need some form of transport to get there. My friends have been pick pocketed on MRT and Jeepney.  Taxi are best if take care to make sure meter is running. Some will still demand fixed fare during rush hour/rain.

Thank you for your contribution dhnindc! :)

There is also this thing we call "FX" I think it has gotten its name from the type of vehicle (Toyota tamaraw FX) they initially used for this purpose during its early days of implementation. FX basically will have point A to point B route where they wait to get filled (only 10 passengers) before they leave the station. Its also air conditioned, so its more convenient than tricycle, jeepney or some buses while its good for 10 person so its cheaper than taxi. One thing though, it takes a long time to wait for FX during rush hour (they always get filled up fast) while during dead hours you will have to wait longer before it gets loaded with 10pax. 

If you live or work in Makati or Fort Bonifacio they have electric jeepney and electric tricycle respectively. You can inquire for its route to take advantage of the free ride (donation only).

I think Philippine transportation is okay but there are still  a lot of improvement that can be done with it so it can help boost Philippine tourism. Specifically for the cab drivers but generally the service, quality and security. Maybe this can be achieve if they will have a course in "DISCIPLINE 101" or apply respect yourself by respecting others (read:tourists or not).

Hi SouthSea Beauty! Thanks for these tips.;)

Harmonie.

Hi Armand,

Transpo in the metropolis is just ok. Anywhere you are there is a means of transpo. There are many car-for-rent agencies, too. You can choose among old and new cabs and buses but be prepared during rush hour or rainy days, as they mentioned. You can find residences with easy access to these means of transportation. For short distances you spend 45 pesos--1 US dollar is 43.40 pesos. The minimum fare for an air conditioned bus is 12 pesos an could increase by 1 peso per kilometer beyond 4 kilometers. To add, you can find a vans that accommodate just enough number of passengers but be patient in standing in the queue to a ride.

Lastly, keep an eye on your valuables and demand to put on the meter by the time time get on a cab.

Thanks for your help tomgwapo!

Harmonie.:)

When traveling my motto is "do what the Romans do" so I suggest for anyone who wanted to try the Philippine transport system to ride a Jeepney (image: instablogsimages.com/images/2007/07/28/manila-style-jeepney-1_48.jpg). Unlike the bus it doesn't have any AC but some new ones do for tourists but on a regular basis, none. It's by far the cheapest and easiest mode of transportation that could only cost around a 1 KM distance of 8 Pesos (around 5-6 cents USD) for one person per ride.

:top:

Hello to all.....My first post here :)

My family and I are moving back to Manila mid 2013....Im British and my wife is filipina.

Im too young to do nothing so, Im wondering if I can drive a van (a to b, back to a) not FX.

I imagine it would all have to be in my wife's name etc and that I would need a pro drivers licence.

Its just an idea?

Advance thanks...Mark

markandjane wrote:

My family and I are moving back to Manila mid 2013....Im British and my wife is filipina.

Im too young to do nothing so, Im wondering if I can drive a van (a to b, back to a) not FX.

I imagine it would all have to be in my wife's name etc and that I would need a pro drivers licence.

Its just an idea?

Advance thanks...Mark

Too much competition and if you get into an accident (and you will), will probably be liable. These guys are making peanuts and your health will suffer given the amount of pollution and stress you will be subject to. 

Plus you will have to hire a boy to collect money and pay the street guy to find passengers. I don't know if the FX owners would appreciate a foreigner trying to take over their routes.

I could not think of a worst job, the bloody pollution in Manila's street will kill you, I agree with dhnindc completetly.
We have a friend who drives a jeepney he is 40 looks 60
Also so boring same route every day, how many times?
this is why jeepney driver are so arrogant, they think they own the road cause thet drive it so offen
Pete

dhnindc wrote:
markandjane wrote:

Its just an idea?

Advance thanks...Mark

Too much competition and if you get into an accident (and you will), will probably be liable. These guys are making peanuts and your health will suffer given the amount of pollution and stress you will be subject to. 

Plus you will have to hire a boy to collect money and pay the street guy to find passengers. I don't know if the FX owners would appreciate a foreigner trying to take over their routes.

Thank you for the time to reply :)

Like I explained...not FX but, van driver, driving lets say for example route SM mall of Asia to Cavite...I will pay a terminal fee and join there association. There's no collecting fares en route unlike FX. Just terminal to terminal. The lingo is not a problem.

The vans have to be air conditioned so, unlike the  jeepneys I won't be going home with a black face with equally blackened lungs!!

Anyway, Ive done some home work after posting here..it looks like I have to obtain an A13 visa. The work permit looks kind of difficult considering im only going to be a van driver be it self employed..we'll see :)

Would be interesting if there is anybody else out (fellow Brit) there actually doing what I want to do.

Thanks again for your thoughts :)

markandjane wrote:
dhnindc wrote:
markandjane wrote:

Its just an idea?

Advance thanks...Mark

Like I explained...not FX but, van driver, driving lets say for example route SM mall of Asia to Cavite...I will pay a terminal fee and join there association. There's no collecting fares en route unlike FX. Just terminal to terminal. The lingo is not a problem.

The vans have to be air conditioned so, unlike the  jeepneys I won't be going home with a black face with equally blackened lungs!!

Anyway, Ive done some home work after posting here..it looks like I have to obtain an A13 visa. The work permit looks kind of difficult considering im only going to be a van driver be it self employed..we'll see :)

Would be interesting if there is anybody else out (fellow Brit) there actually doing what I want to do.

Your better off trying to find hotel in Subic/Angeles/Battangas that wants transport to/from NAIA.  Running a regular route will not pay enough to cover expense of buying a van and maintaining it.  Will have to be running 24/7, so would have to rent it out to other drivers.

Do the math, on average, a fare would be say 40 pesos (thats prob high).  A van can hold about 8 persons, so thats p320. Given traffic of Manila, to go from Mall of Asia to Mega Mall would take close to 1 hour or more in rush hour.   So your making p320 per hour. How many hours can you drive, a pinoy can do 14-16 hours. Costs of fuel on a a/c van will be high as your averaging about 15 km/hour. Plus oil changes, insurance, etc. You wont be taking home much so have to run the van non-stop.

A private driver can make up to p15k per month in Metro Manila, and thats considered good money. But you have to know the city.

At least picking up tourists and driving to hotel in AC will probably be $20 one way per passenger.  But of course you need to find hotels willing to hire you. One thing is that a few retired Brits own places in AC/Subic so you may be able to network.

as I see I am not the only one who thinks that is not a good business project. :-)

dhnindc wrote:
markandjane wrote:
dhnindc wrote:

Your better off trying to find hotel in Subic/Angeles/Battangas that wants transport to/from NAIA.  Running a regular route will not pay enough to cover expense of buying a van and maintaining it.  Will have to be running 24/7, so would have to rent it out to other drivers.

Do the math, on average, a fare would be say 40 pesos (thats prob high).  A van can hold about 8 persons, so thats p320. Given traffic of Manila, to go from Mall of Asia to Mega Mall would take close to 1 hour or more in rush hour.   So your making p320 per hour. How many hours can you drive, a pinoy can do 14-16 hours. Costs of fuel on a a/c van will be high as your averaging about 15 km/hour. Plus oil changes, insurance, etc. You wont be taking home much so have to run the van non-stop.

A private driver can make up to p15k per month in Metro Manila, and thats considered good money. But you have to know the city.

At least picking up tourists and driving to hotel in AC will probably be $20 one way per passenger.  But of course you need to find hotels willing to hire you. One thing is that a few retired Brits own places in AC/Subic so you may be able to network.

Thanks for your thoughts and time for posting :)

The van will be bought and paid for and brought in from Europe ( much cheaper that buying in the phils)...our house will be bought and paid for too...the income only has to to put food on the table, water electic, schooling and van upkeep.

the route you mentioned is actually taking 50 pesos..the van in question will take 14 passengers.

You correctly said it would take 1 hours to do that said route at that time of day.

markandjane wrote:
dhnindc wrote:
markandjane wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts and time for posting :)

The van will be bought and paid for and brought in from Europe ( much cheaper that buying in the phils)...our house will be bought and paid for too...the income only has to to put food on the table, water electic, schooling and van upkeep.

the route you mentioned is actually taking 50 pesos..the van in question will take 14 passengers.

You correctly said it would take 1 hours to do that said route at that time of day.

How are you going to import a van into the Philippines without paying the customs tax (I think 50%), import fees, registration fees, and bribes to all the officials? Metro Manila LTO is a lot more strict these days. Used to be easier to import thru Davao but Manila will not accept cars registered down there as question of whether all fees were paid.

I imported my Harly back in Feb. Yet to receive registration papers and I have the proper route to take. I also bought a domestically produced Ford in Jan, recd papers in Nov. The system is broken. If you dont have papers, the cops will stop you at every moment and take your DL and require you to go to the station.

For 14 passengers at 50, your not going to be able to support unless you hire another 2 drivers but then mall hours are fixed.  I know of several locals who own taxis and rent those out to drivers for p1500 or so a day. Its just not worth it for the returns.

As for time, I commute 5 km up and down EDSA. If I leave after 8am, its a 30 minute commute going against traffic for only 5 km.  From MoA to Mega, closer to 15, if you taking passemgers between Malls, you will only be able to drive between 10 am and up to 9 pm, so you will be peak traffic throughout the day.

warning, wherever you go or what kind of rides you riding be always alert at anytime, anywhere in the city.....to avoid pick pocketed....:D

A resource that is forgotten here that is a valuable tool are the blogs.  I wrote two articles on this that could really help.  As have others that blogged on it.  Though I live in Cebu much of the same applies.

Getting around 101

So check out the others that have blogged here as well. This is site has tons of value. 

Enjoy

blueoakey wrote:

I could not think of a worst job, the bloody pollution in Manila's street will kill you, I agree with dhnindc completetly.
We have a friend who drives a jeepney he is 40 looks 60
Also so boring same route every day, how many times?
this is why jeepney driver are so arrogant, they think they own the road cause thet drive it so offen
Pete

Not all drivers are arrogant. But if caught in a traffic jam and it's rush hour, expect to hear unpleasant words and deafening horns.

One thing I do not miss is the pollution. Always have a handkerchief in your bag or pocket. If you want to have a pollution-free living or vacation head on to Tagaytay (cold tourist spot) or other famous tourist spots that are not too far from Manila.

Well good luck to you,as i have only been here a week and is my first visit.Have just come back from Cavite and Taal Volcano.The traffic is just too much and slow,even on a Sunday.Surely there is a much better option for you,as to do what you want is madness,sorry to say.
What about renting your home in the UK and living off that.As there is just far too much competition here.

markandjane wrote:

Its just an idea?

Advance thanks...Mark

hi..i ride everyday in an fx...two type of driver...the driver who is the owner... or the driver under the owner of the fx or also called operator....for me the latter one fits you..just buy a van..and fx..Process your permits and legalities..hire a qualified and trustworthy driver..pay them by boundary...meaning you have a ratio insharing a daily income...owws hard to type...hope it helps.