Public transportation in Alexandria

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Alexandria ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Alexandria?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Hello !  The transportation is fine with me even I was not used with such means. There are few means of transportation for all the budgets . What is available ?
There are taxis , yellow color and the range is lower then Cairo. From an end to another along the Cornice , from Montazah to Ras El Tin , they will charge you about 30 le. They don't use counter.
There is a red big bus with 2 levels, very modern and with AC. The main route is from Montazah/ Mandarah to Ras el Tin/ QaitBey Castle along the shores and the fare is 3 le. You pay to the driver when u ride the bus and you will receive a ticket. There are other additional routes going to Agami but I never went that road so I can't say more about it.
There are other governmental big buses but I didn't take one either cause I prefer the micro-buses/ minibuses . Both of them have several routes inside the city not only the Cornice. The only thing with the micro-buses /minibuses is that you have to know the language of signs to be able to stop one for your direction. For example if you need to go in area called 45 ( hamsa arbain - I am sorry but i do not know to write it good in arabic )  , you will need to spread your palm and then close and open your big finger inside and outside the interior of your palm. Get it ? the 4 fingers means 4 from 45 street and when you spread the big finger means 5 from 45 , so you make the sign 45 to the drivers that pass by and they stop. Or other area is called clock/time and you show your hand like you are watching the time on your clock. It maybe sounds weird but once you get into it is fun.The cost is between 25 piasters and 1,5 le depending on the distance.
Other transportation is the tramway but only in some parts of the city. The main station is in the center of the city and is called Raml Station. The cost of the ticket is only 25 piasters paid to the man inside who will cut you a ticket. You can go with the tramway lets say to San Stefano Mall , to Mahatat Sidi Gaber or to the Catacombs in Kom El Shukafa.
The last mean of transportation would be the internal train. Look very very poor and is located pretty much inside the city and is not covering all the territories. I never ride one so I can't tell much but you can see them in area Sidi Besh/Asafra for example. The cost is 25 piasters.
I think this is all , if I forgot something be free to add. There are also tok-tok inside the city , after the railways.And on the cornice if  you please you can take a carriage with horse , just for fun !

Hi ladyiulia!

Thanks very much for your help! It is much appreciated ;)

Regards
Armand

cheap and cheerful taxis. every minute of the day everywhere :)

Thank you for your input Janayousef! ;)

Aurélie

also, a friend of mine was organising a driver to drive him to cairo and back (from Alexandria) and due to the rise in petrol fares he was charged 1000 LE - I spoke to a friend and he was able to organise a posh car, driver, and an egyptologist guide to take him to cairo and back (from Alexandria), the museum, the pyramids and to lunch for him and his girlfriend for 800 LE - 80 Uk pounds. The website he used was www. ramsestours.com and he was highly delighted with them. Glad I poked my nose in as he was about to get robbed!!!