Public transportation in Perth

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Perth ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Perth?

Thanks in advance for participating!

I use public transport every day for work. The train service during the day is generally pretty good. It costs be about $5 a day to go between Perth and Beechboro. (North East) Considering the cost of parking in the city I wouldn't use any other option except on a rare occasion when I need to drive in and park.

Relative safety varies. During the normal business hours I've not had many issues. Towards the evenings I tend to stay away from the public transport where possible. As a general rule I personally won't use the train after about 6:00 on the average weekday.

Cab's can be difficult to catch unless you are in the CBD area. If you are in the CBD there are a few cab racks that are generally full of cabs waiting for a fair. Outside of the

Bus routs are reasonably well spread out through the city. During the week they are pretty good, but evenings and weekends they drop off, as well as the train service. Sunday's and bank holidays you need to plan your trip around public transport as the pickings get slim.

:one

Public transportation is generally run by one big monopole company called Transperth. The company operates the train, bus and ferry service around perth and surrounding region. Transperth service is generally awesome and very timely. All the "routes" timetables are normally published in train stations, ferry quarter and bus stations. You can also consult the timetable online at Transperth website: http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/.

There are 5 major train lines which are Armadale Line, Fremantle Line, Joondalup Line, Mandurah Line and Midland Line and all these train lines are available & connected to Perth City.

Transperth, also offer CAT bus services in major cities areas and this service are absolutely free of charge. Free CAT services are short trip within a particular city itself. Their timetable can be consulted at the Transperth website once again: http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/UsingTr … vices.aspx

The train/bus fares varies depending on your trip. Normally the fare will be around 5AUD for adult and 1.50 AUD for student (concession fees). The tickets are valid for a period of 3 hours after which you will be required to purchase another ticket for further travel. Train tickets can be purchased at the train station automated machine itself. And bus ticket shall be purchased directly at in the bus itself. Pls, have the exact amount or small change notes/coins. Or, you can also buy a card called a SMART RIDER, and you can use this card to pay for all your transportation fees provided by Transperth Ltd. Smartrider card can be purchased at the Perth City Train station or Wellington Bus station. The card can be refiled at any train station or in the bus(es) itself.

Taxi services are also widely available in Perth city but it is a bit more expensive than the common transportation method. To my knowledge, I know 2 taxi companies called Swan Taxis which can be reached at 131330 and their fares can be consulted at: http://www.swantaxis.com.au/fares.php and the Tricolor cab service.

Concerning the safety of transportation in Western Australia, all public transportation (Ferry, Train, Bus and Taxi) are equipped with CCTV cameras. Also, all the bus stop(s) and train station are equipped with camera surveillance to assure the safety of passengers. Also, I notice that  all public transportation are equipped with air conditioned facilities.

You can also travel with your bike(s) in the train or you can have them parked at the bike parking space which are available in mostly all big train station or bus station.

To sum up, I can conclude that the network of public transportation has been well established and I notice that the Australian government is still putting effort in the maintenance and upgrading of the transportation service in Western Australia and in Perth.

Ps. I think I have covered all parts of the Team question. Should you require any additional info, I will be glad to help.

Regards

Thanks for helping Yud!

Armand