Public transportation in New Jersey

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in New Jersey ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in New Jersey?

Thanks in advance for participating!

it is really safe to travel. local transport shall be usd 2-10. and renting car can be around usd 40-50 per day taxi will be expensive.

Thanks for your help coolsandip ;)

Armand

It really depends on which part of NJ you're in.

In the north public transportation is decent to very good. You have buses (both state and private), PATH (underground/subway sort of thing), light rail and regular trains.

In the central and south NJ, you're limited to buses and trains  however buses can be painfully slow or have a weird schedule and trains cover a limited area and if you're far from the station, they may not be a viable option. Service delays are not uncommon.

I.e. where I used to live, last bus left at 7PM (and I frequently worked till after 7). Also, closest train station was 10mins by car which was 30+ mins by bus and train arrivals/bus departures frequently overlapped so you could arrive and see your bus leaving (and next one wasn't coming for 30+mins).

Overall they're safe and fare depends how far you're going and if you pay per trip or buy a monthly ticket. I think lowest fare is around US $2.

I think everybody uses car the most. If they don't, they may be living in Bergen close to the water where one doesn't really have to use it. Almost everywhere else it's a must.

Hi sor609,

Thank you very much for this information. :)

I live in Southern Jersey along the Delaware River and use the RiverLine frequently, it runs from Trenton to Camden and is only $1.50 per ride.  Stations are conveniently located in each town along the route.  Once you get to Camden you can either transfer to a bus or take the PATCO train to Philadelphia. Taking the NJ Transit bus ends up costing more and is slower but it is good for going to points west.  The NJ Transit train can be taken from Trenton to New York City, but costs about $20 round trip.  Overall, it is much more convenient to have your own car (just be prepared to pay high car insurance rates).

Thank you lme for your input :)

Aurélie