A new member in Spain

Hi all!  My name is Chris and I just joined the site.  I'm originally from the USA but I now live in Burgos, Spain and work here as an English teacher.  I'm putting together a blog about my life abroad in Spain and have just submitted it to be included in this site's directory. 

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi!  Talk to you soon!

Welcome Chris !

Bienvenido!

How long have you been in Spain? Do you like living there?

(I used to lived in Madrid and Barcelona, and I really liked it!)

Julien

Hi there!  I live near Barcelona now....welcome!

Thank you all for the nice replies!

To answer your question, Julien, I've been living here in Burgos, Spain since September 2008; however, this is the third time I've lived in Spain.  My first time was just a few months in the summer of 2003 in Madrid, I then did a year of my university degree in Valladolid in 2007, and now I'm back in Burgos *hopefully* for a longer amount of time.  My current teaching contract will allow me to be here until September of 2011, after that we'll see where I end up! haha  How long ago were you living in Spain?

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the words of "welcome!" 

I don't actually know Burgos, but I really like Spain;

I spent a few months in BCN in 1999 (I lived en la rambla catalunya, in the very center of the city) and used to travel a lot there for a student project, then I spent one year in Madrid 2005 (I lived en las Ventas, close to "La plaza de toros"). I also used to go on holidays near "La costa brava, benicassim, tarragona", and I visited a few cousins near Elche, Murcia, Alcazar de San Juan.

Haven't been yet in las Asturias, el Pais Basco, Andalucia, Valencia ... So there are still a lot of things to discover for me in Spain! Have you traveled around a little bit since September?

Hey Julien,

Yes, I've done quite a bit of traveling through Spain between this trip and the other two times I've lived here.  In all, I've been throughout the south of Spain - Madrid and south - Castilla-La Mancha, Andalucia, Extremadura, Valencia, etc..... I've also been to Asturias, Castilla y Leon, and Pais Vasco.  At the end of this month I'll make my first trip to Barcelona, so I'll finally see Catalunya.... since you seem to know that area pretty well if you have any suggesstions for things to see, let me know. 

I recommend you go to Asturias next time you're in the country.  It's beautifl and everything is green!  There are also some nice beaches there, but the water is cold. 

If you're going to Barcelona, you should visit plaza de catalunya and las ramblas, el mercado de la boqueria, el paseo del angel, plaza de españa on a friday evening. there is a famous fountain show with colors and music (I don't know if they are still doing it);

Ooh yes: don't miss el parque Guell and Gaudi's houses en el eixample (a MUST DO!). I also recommend el palau de la musica.

So many things to do and see! I simply love BCN's architectural design, and I know I'll be back there one day ... but at the moment, I am on the other side of the planet :lol:

I forgot to mention: don't eat en las ramblas, and don't have a drink en las ramblas de mar, these are tourist venues ;) You should prefer small places & restaurants en el barrio chino for example (calle escudellers is nice for a late drink)

Thanks for the advice Julien.  I'll be sure to let you know how the trip went once I'm back from Barcelona!

Welcome Chris,
We are currently living in Santander and we have visited Burgos a few times:)
Have you visited Picos de Europa yet? To me it is the most beautiful part of Spain, a hikers paradise.
If you want to study the National park of Picos de Europa check topwalks.net/en/picos_de_europa.htm
Santander is nice aswell. We like living here enormously after spending more than 10 years in Valencia and Andalusia.
Other places worth visiting on the northern coast are San Vicente and Santoña in Cantabria, Llanes and Gijón in Asturias. Potes (Cantabria) and Covadonga (Asturias) are the places to stay inside the national park.
The cider culture in Asturias is very special. I am not keen on museums, but I liked the cider museum in Nava. It is good to start from there.
Potes and the Valley of Liebana is the center of orujo and local blue cheese queso picón.
And sea food (marisco) is fantastic on the northern coast. Percebes for example...!

Thanks for the advice Aconitum.  I'll have to check out some of the places you mention. I do know Asturias but I've never been to the Picos de Europa... perhaps that will be my next trip. 

great blog Chris!!

thank you for the blog Chris

Hello Chris I will be coming to Spain in May to see if I want to stay! My Dad is Spaniard so I can apply for my papers etc. I am looking at a property in Maella right now..can't wait to get there! nancy from CT & SC