Have just returned from scouting mission, here are my comments:

We have just returned from our 9 days in Mur, we stayed at Trou aux Biches, fortunately in stunning apartments on the beach. What a stunning area! perfect snorkeling reefs, crystal clear waters and plenty amenities.

Our objective whilst there was to explore the areas for house rentals, cost of living, food costs, petrol costs, security, general perceptions and culture.

Our findings were that relative to South Africa the cost of living is slightly higher (by about 1000 USD a month), the standard of various items is comparable and sometimes lower.

Let me start on the first item:

1. Housing - we found houses to rent in Perebere, Cap Malheureux, Grand Gaube and Poste Lafeyete. The houses were decent in terms of what we were looking for - 3/4 bedrooms, walled, with pool etc. Rentals ranged from 40,000 rupees to 60,000 rupees. Take note that these houses are not on the beach!

2. Cost of living: We spoke to the people living in the houses (as well as a very helpful South African estate agent), who gave us the run down on electricity costs, gas costs, security company costs. Electricity is not cheap.

3. Food costs: if you are a vegetarian, you would probably live cheaper 9and longer), but for me being a true South African, a 1kg fillet steak costs from around R300 plus. Red meat is imported from SA or Oz, you pay. Chicken and fish seems reasonable. Fruit and veg costs are reasonable, lettuce can be expensive (why has no one started hydroponic lettuce growing?). There is no fresh milk!

4. Petrol costs are about double we are used to, but you don't travel thousands of kilometres a month (like I do in SA), I think it was about R10 a litre (36 rupees).

5. Security is fine, I hear there is some petty crime. We felt safe where ever we drove, walked, parked and explored. Whatever the crime is there, is nothing compared to crime here at home in South Africa!

6. Our general perceptions were that if you can adapt and embrace a different way of living you can be do it. We met a lot of fellow South Africans living in Grand Baie which was very helpful as we got to ask the right questions and also got first hand insight into what living there is like. We loved our visit and will definitely say that there is a great life to have in Mauritius. Of course, driving the streets are an experience, Port Louis was a mad house, driving from town to town (village to village in fact) was an eye opener, there are a gazillion dogs roaming the island and the people are always helpful, eager to assist and most speak english.

7. The cultures are incredible, there is little class observance unless you are driving a Porsche, Mercedes or BMW. For the rest, it is bicycles, mopeds, busses and small cars that get you from A to B.

Great post, thanks Wendill !

Thanks for your contribute.
Do tyou think you're going to move to Mauritius then? Sorry, maybe I lostsomething, but you thought to work there or not?
Thanks,Rain

Yes, looking to move to Mauritius and work there. Lot's more planning to do still if the company I am talking to will pay what I need!

rain wrote:

Thanks for your contribute.
Do tyou think you're going to move to Mauritius then? Sorry, maybe I lostsomething, but you thought to work there or not?
Thanks,Rain

I agree 100% with your comments.

It will definitely take some getting used to.  The things that got to me were definitely how people drive and all the dogs roaming the streets.  I even saw a dog being hit by a car. :-(