Hi Everybody. I'm moving to Jeddah

Just thought I'd introduce myself.
I'm moving to Jeddah next week.
I'm from the UK and I've recently taken a job with a well known confectionery company to build a new factory in KAEC.
I've been working out of Dubai for the last 3 months whilst the visas etc. have been processed and it's now time to relocate.
We have a company ( move one) who are going to be showing us around accommodation so if anybody sees somebody walking around your compound aimlessly then it's probably going to be me.

I think I want to be in one of the larger compounds because my wife isn't going to relocate full time so I thought there would be a better social scene on a larger compound... Has anybody got any advice/comments as to which would be best?

I'd also be interested in knowing if there are any sailing clubs? and I'd also like to take up scuba diving again after quite a few years, so if anybody has any suggestions or info it would be very much appreciated.

I'm going to be staying at the intercontinental for a month or so whilst I sort out a compound. If possible I'd like to visit some of the compounds over the weekends to see what they are like without the people showing me around, so if anybody feels like inviting a total stranger to any social events then that would be appreciated too.

One last thing, the guy at move one says that they are thinking of opening the golf club at KAUST to external members... does anybody know anything about this?

Thanks for any replies in advance and I look forward to chatting and meeting some of you in the near future.

Grant.

Welcome Mangeee,

The KAUST golf course has been open for a while (so I've been told).

It can only be used by people living in KAUST and I'm not sure if it will be open to outsiders.

If you will be working in KAEC and I suggest and recommend to live at KAUST since it will be closer for your work. I've found it much better than other compounds I've seen in Jeddah.

And you will get to play golf too :p

Don't have much info about diving but my colleagues are, so I can pass on the info once I get it from them.

Good luck with your search

Thanks Hamudi,
I thought that to be able to live in KAUST you had to be a student or on the staff?

Does anybody else know about this?

I wouldn't mind doing a few lectures to gain eligibility !

G

Yes, I got mixed up and thought KAEC employees can also stay there for a fee but thats something else.