Gym/Health Club in Accra

Hello
Can anybody recommend a decent gym or health club in Accra. I'm looking for something of the standard i'm used to in Europe with lots of cardio equipment, resistance machines and free weights.
Also if anybody knows of keep fit clubs or personal trainer worth recommending please do so.
Thanku James

Not sure if it is the standard you are used to or where you live but I have joined the Branch gym on Spintex road as it is convenient for me.
I used to use the gym at the Airforce Mess near the El Wak Stadium which also had good equipment. I am sure there are others.

There is a pretty decent boxing gym in the Dzorwulu area...you can can call up 0208560186 to get more details...attended it for a month before by travel schedule completely disoriented me :-)

Pippa's gym has 3 branches - Cantonments, East Legon and Tema.  They are nice but quite expensive.  There is also a big new gym at A&C mall in East Legon.  They all have top of the range equipment.  The African Regent and Royal Richester hotel in East Legon also have a gym with decent equipment.

Hi,

I'm moving to Accra in a few weeks, to the Dzorwulu area to be specific.

I'm looking for a good gym and possibly a workout partner.  I was in town last week and saw a few gyms.  I'm leaning towards Pippa's or the Air Force Officer's Mess.  I haven't seen Total Body Fitness but heard they are good as well.

I'm pretty strong (370lbs bench press currently) and looking for a training partner who could adequately spot me.

Please contact me if you are interested.  I would likely pick a gym based on whether the facility has what I would to push myself further and find others of similar strength.

Thanks.

Hello GMAULER.

Welcome to Expat.com!

This discussion is from 2011.

You can post an advert in the Accra classifieds - Activities section (Sport partners).

Hope it helps.

Thank you,
Aurélie

[Moderated]

hello,

i an new in accra and stay in dzorwolu, am studying a short programme at the alliance francais. i like the gym and will like the idea of going to the gym together. write back.

Tingo

Hi there GMAULER. where are U now?

Tesano Gym also a big gym.Good materials,assistant etc...

Hi,
Best places are the Tesano Sports club, in Tesano, not so far from Achimota- they have swimming, tennis courts, badmington etc.
Or you can try Pippas Gym at A & C Mall in East Legon.
Or you could go to the Aviation Sports and Social Centre, which is not far from '37 station' and the Airport, On the same road as the Ministry of Defence HQ, close to AFCO premises.
Those are the 3 best known places.
You could also just go jogging on the back roads, which would be free!

Good luck!
Regards,
Nana
[Moderated: No free ad pls]

Pipa's Gym located at East Legon  where the A&C Mall.

There are a lot of Gym club in Accra.
Tesano Gym,Good equipment and assistant.
Hope you will find not far.

Hi James,

did you ever find that gym ???
I am in the same boat now myself and am looking for one too.
Found one in Ringway Estate area of Osu but ridicolously expensive membership fees

David

Hi,
Yes, prices are very high. But if you can play tennis, there is a club at Haatso/Atomic, near the police station, behind a basket ball court. It is a very relaxed place, one off membership fee of Ghc250, then Ghc20 per month and you can play as often as you like!
Bring your racket, tip the ball boys and get some great exercise playing!
If you have not played before, there is a coach, and you could get some lessons.
Check it out.
Gyms are extortionate.
Good luck.

hello,

Thank you for the info.
I appreciate it very much.
Havent played tennis before but will definitely check it out.

Thanks again

David

Hi David

Never did get going on the gym thing and am currently nursing broken ribs after climbing over the wall to my compound. Too much club draft. Ouch! it hurts so much to move

James

Just to add if you are looking for a really good trainer, call Frimpong 0208 560186.

Bonsoir! On m'appelle Johanne Prue. Je me suis instanner à Accra il y a deux semaines de cela pour une formation linguistique pendant une duree de 9 mois. J'aimerai m'inscrire à une salle dans une salle de Gym mais je ne sais pas où en trouver. Je tenais donc à savoir combien ça coûte comment ça se place et où ca se trouve. J'habite à Abeka donc s'il y a une salle dans les alentours ça sera parfait. Je suis en attente de votre réponse. Merci

If you want a response you need to write in English

Bon soir Johanne

Je m`appelle David. Je suis irlandais mais j`habite ici en Accra pour un an exactement.
Je travaille pour une compagnie aerienne (Starbow Airlines) qui m`a installe dans un apartement en Osu que se trouve seulement 3 kilometres de la centre ville.
Eventuellment, apres 6 mois cherchant, j`ai trouve un gym excellent au rez de chausee de la W.T.C  - "World Trade Center".au centre ville.
On trouve le  W.T.C en face de la teatre nationale et l`hotel Movenpick.
Il y a beaucoup de salles y dans qui sont libres en ce moment.

J`espere que vous me comprenez y que l`information est utile pour vous.

Bon chance avec tous

David

Merci pour tout merci d'avoir prit la peine de me répondre. Bah en faite je tenais à savoir combien ça coûte et comment ce se passe par moi est-ce juste un fitness ou chacun s'exerce comme il veut où il y a des personnes pour vous dire ce qu'il faut faire

On a tous  lá.

On y peut faire toutes les exercises de musculacion et de cardio
On peut suivre des clases formales oú des instructuers vous montrerrez comment faire les exercises differents.

Ca coute 900 GHC  ( ($225) pour 3 mois,    1300 GHC ($ 325) pour 6 mois,    2200 GHC  ($550)  pour 12 mois

D'accord merci bien c'est gentil surtout merci de votre disponibilité.

Hi locko johanne prudence and daithiohurnaigh > Can you please post in english only on this english speaking forum?

If you wish to exchange information in french, please post in the Accra francophone forum.

Thanks

Priscilla

pas de probleme.... c`etait mon plaisir

D