Buying a house?

can someone tell me about the mortgage application process in Kenya? want to get a place in Nairobi within the next year or 2, what exactly do I need to do? Im a Kenyan citizen (for now anyway, if they dont allow dual citizenship by the time I get there Ill have to renounce it) thinking Karen or Westlands

any help would be good, including costs.

thanks

Hi,
The process seems to be similar to the UK application process, with you needing to evidence your financial security.  We looked into it about 4 years ago and at the time the applicant was expected to deposit minimum 20%.  I understand that 100% mortgages are available.  Mortage terms appear to be 15yrs.  The interest rate is around 15% at the moment.

It seems to help if you already bank with a UK branch of a Kenyan bank; eg. Standard Chartered, or Barclays (at least that is what Standard Chartered informed us).

Regarding the dual citizenship, I have been informed that applications will not be considered until after the 2012 elections  - not long to wait though!

will I need a credit rating in Kenya?

Not too sure, as credit checks are very new.  Until now, it has been done in the 'old fashioned way', by interview and checking paperwork and I also believe that a reference is required, similar to opening a Kenyan bank account.

I definitely helps if you have an account with the organisation and start putting in regular sums of money.

it also depends on what kind of house you are looking for and the size price ranges from 15millio- 50 million

Of course the same applies in any market (size of the house).