Spanish expat couple moving to Bangalore - Housing advice

Hi all,

We are an spanish expat couple on our early thirties with no children. We are moving to Bangalore next September (I will be going first to settle). I have been doing some research about housing communities and I am quite confused. I have heard Withfield is a nice place to live but I am afraid it is too far from the city action. i will be working on Residency Rd that is in the center of the city.

If anyone would be so kind to give me any directions where to look. For us it would be awsome if we could find a community in which we could make some friends and with social life... but that it was not to isolated from the city life.

Many thanks for your advice in advance.

Nacho

Hi Nacho
It doesn't make sense staying in Withfield and working in center of the city. The places you should try to get can be Koramangala, Indira nagar, BTM Layout
and Jayanagar. Make sense coz of you working in center also for your social life If you find any challenge getting a place for yourself do let me know probably i can help.

Cheers
Tushar

I completely agree with Tushar! Distances and times are very different here!
I m spanish too, so, if i can help you someway, just tell me!

..celia

Traffic and road travel will be a nightmare initially in bangalore.It is advicable to live closer to work place and areas around residency road is lively too.
Do mail your housing requirement maybe I can help you with more info.
[email protected]

Hi guys!

Many thanks for your kind and quick advice! I lived in Surat in 2004 for almost 5 months, traveling a lot to Mumbai and I remember how distances in India are large, but you never know :-). I will definitelly look in the center. I will let you know as my leave date approaches.

Warm regards!

Hi

I would advice you to choose either Indiranagar or HBR Layout/Kammanahalli.

Indiranagar is about 4 KM and HBR Layout and Kammanahalli is about 6 KM from Residency Road. Indiranagar is bit expensive compared to HBR Layout and Kammanahalli. If you need any information about Blore pls write to us.

Chinnappa -9341941537
Certified Public Accountant

Hi!
My husband and I moved to Bangalore 6 years ago. We went with about 12 realtors looking for houses and believe me, some places we saw were just not even houses!
We finally found a gorgeous apartment which has a very good mix of expats and locals in the middle of the city!

I realized at that time how difficult it is for foreigners to come to a new place and find a home so I started my own business. If you want I could help you - go through my website: primapropertymanagement.webs.com and let me know if I can assist you.

Kind regards
Natasha

Hello Nachojoy,

Hope this helps.

Whitefield is a nice place if you lead a quiet life and have kids. There are two expat communities that come equipped with gym and club house that pull most of the expats - Palm Meadows and Prestige Ozone.

Early morning, Whitefield is 20 minutes from the city but could be as much as 45 mins to an hour and something in traffic.

Getting to and from anywhere in Bangalore is a factor to consider as the traffic is horrendous.

Indranagar is also a nice place.....close to the shopping on 100 feet road and 80 feet road, restaraunts, spas.......and just 20 minutes to town. Early morning walks are a pleasure.

Nearer the city, the choices in terms of budget are numerous. Your budget should drive location....get in touch with 3-4 real estate agents and get a feel for quality and price. Like in any other city, real estate agents are to be handled with care. Make sure that you do not see the same property with two different agents. Good luck!

Hi

I am a property consultant who used to be working with builders for about 15 years and for the last six years have been doing real estate on my own catering to the needs of some of my old clients .I do a lot of business through word of mouth from my own clients .....

It will be nice if you could throw some light on the budget and the  number of bedrooms you are looking for.

There is a nice villa community on the old airport road which has a lot of expats -French,German and British .

Do let me know if I can be of help to you in identifying a suitable place.

Warm Regards

Leela Sundaram

Hi Nachojoy,

I was quite eager to help out :-) so logged on real quick and found out that there are so many people out here who have essential info about housing at their finger tips.

As there is sufficient time until next September, you could keep in touch with few people here and familiarize yourself through google maps about Residency Road and places around it with facilities.

I live in J P Nagar and had to travel to Whitefield for work. Was doing 44 kms everyday. Used to spend nearly 2 - 4 hours for travel most days. During peak hours, one has to accept traffic jams as the city is having metro work and flyovers being constructed. It can get very frustrating. So, you could save a lot of time and have some peace of mind by staying closer to your workplace depending on you budget and other needs - it would be a good idea to put it down on paper and plan accordingly thereby narrowing your search.

As you can see, there will be ample help coming your way:-) So, please don't worry when you land here. All will go well. Take care!! Have a great week end.. 

Best wishes,
Nelson

Hola Nacho,

Soy una mama de familia numerosa que pronto se va a mudar a Bangalore. Estoy bastante perdida en cuanto a informacion se refiere a; alimentos, comida espanola, guarderias, medicos, casas, podrias echarme una mano?..., veras estoy en un mar de dudas con respecto esta ciudad. Tengo que tener ciertas dudas resueltas para tratar de organizarme lo mejor posible y por el bien de mis bebes.

Gracias

Esperando notias tuyas recibe un saludo

Mariadel

Hola Mariadel,

I am from Bangalore. Is there any way I can help ?

Regards,
Nelson

Hola Mariadel,

Ante todo bienvenida! Llevo poco en Bangalore, pero lo que sí me ha quedado claro es que es enooooorme! No sé de donde eres exactamente, pero yo vivía en España en Madrid y el tamaño de esta ciudad es más del doble. Tienes de todo. Hospitales de muy buen nivel y de nivel más modesto. Colegios (guarderías) super exlusivos y colegios modestos, y también para clases desprotegidas. La vivienda en general y comparada con España es cara. Es decir, el nivel de servicios y acabados de una casa en Bangalore es más bajo con lo que las casas con mejores acabados son carísimas.

En cuanto a la comida puedes encontrar comida occidental y también algunas cosas que se parecen a comida española. En MG Road (calle principal del centro de BLRE) tienes un supermercado internacional (bastante caro) que vende comida occidental y puedes encontrar fiambre... También hay restaurantes españoles que sirven platos parecidos... En general puedes encontrar de todo. Dependerá de donde vayas a vivir (por las grandes distancias). Digo esto, porque en Madrid puedes ir de una punta a otra en media hora (metro, autobus, coche...) en Bangalore el tráfico es mortal, así que por lo que me han recomendado es preferible vivir cerca de donde se trabaje o cerca de alguna zona donde tengas buenos servicios. En general una zona del centro buena para vivir es cerca del UB City (centro comercial emblemático). Otra zona que recomiendan (no conozco muy bien es Koramangala). En las afueras los expatriados se juntan en 2 o 3 urbanizaciones que están a 45 minutos del centro (Palm Meadows, Prestige Ozone, Adarsh Palm Retreat) pero tienes viviendas de diferentes calidades por toda la ciudad...
Guarderías no te puedo recomendar porque no tengo niños... lo siento. Hospitales, yo estoy en la búsqueda también de un buen hospital que no esté muy lejos de donde viva, pero como todavía no tengo casa definitiva... Mi mujer no llega hasta enero, con lo que, aunque he visto más de 30 casas, no he decidido todavía...
Si me das más info, te puedo cerrar un poco más la información, pero como ves yo tampoco estoy muy puesto todavía :-)

De todos modos, Bangalore no está mal y la India con todos sus fallos y contradicciones es un país alucinante! así que nada que temer... Hay cientos de expatriados con niños pequeños!

Un saludo y hasta pronto

Hi nachojoy!

As this is the anglophone forum could you please write in English?

Thanks
Armand

hello everyone! my husband and i are coming from croatia to blr in june and will stay for a year, so we need to rent an apartment.
some things are very confusing - like 10 months deposit - is that for real? what happens when you want to leave the apartment - do you get your deposit back?
also, since we are on a pretty tight budget, and would like to be within walking distance to our college (kr road, banashankari), what price range to expect? i.e. what kind of apartment can we expect for 4000 - 7000? thank you very much for any cooperation!

10 montsh rent as security deposit is standard; will be returned - after any deductions for damages to apt.

low rent ares implies the surrounding areas won't be that good. safety also will be an issue.
4000 to 7000 is too low for independant apts.
you may want to rent as paying guests - that is shared housing inside safe homes.
otherwise yr rent has to go above 20,000 for something decent, safe and in a good area.