Just a hello

Hi my name is Florisjan, i have been reading most of the topics and found that most people ll move to Cameroun on a "short" time base. We (my woman and me) have a longer time spann to prepair, 7 to 8 years. My woman is Camerounaise and we have been to Cameroun several times, my first visit dates 1996 so i do know where ill go, have had some impressive adventures, verry nice (like a non planned 30km walk trough the forrest carrying 25 liter Petroleum after a carfailure) and verry bad (been in prison twice).
Cameroun is a verry nice country and i allways feel good to be there, eat some food at Yaounde Nfundi market (its closed to bad) for 500Cfa or just being at Mokolo market, what is not without danger. Cameroun is not an easy country for a white male.
But still i want to be there.
Best regards
Florisjan

Hello Florisjan and welcome to Expat.com!

Harmonie.:)

Hey Florisjan,

What type of experience(s) have you had on your visit(s) & tour(s) to Cameroon? And when are you expected to come visit again?

ThartonTimes wrote:

Hey Florisjan,

What type of experience(s) have you had on your visit(s) & tour(s) to Cameroon? And when are you expected to come visit again?

Well in the past 96 99 2000 i have encoutered lots of problems at the airports, and the police. But that has changed, the police doesnt trouble anymore, however the airports are still tricky, improved a little but......
Most harrasments turn around money, the majority is poor in there minds and see a white person as a money tree not a person and they ll do what ever is needed to get the money. But they forget its them who live in "paradise" if you have a place to live and a small money you can live good in Cameroun. Go and look at Bastos Yaounde, dont think all those high walls and guards are there for nothing. Here in europe i virtualy never lock my doors of my house, if you do that in Cameroun you ll find your house empty they ll even remove the tiles from the floor. And thats verry said.
We are constructing a house at the moment, a real night mare, its difficult to find people you can trust, people that put enough ciment in your blocks, we started construction twice, the first time the foundation didnt had any steelrods in the concrete, only a few centimeter that stick out, the rest was stolen, we send 2010, 655000 Cfa to dig a well and to build a smaal wooden caban, that well is still not there. You simply cant trust any one, you have to be sure place and check every thing, i was in Cameroun in july, had to buy 400 rods concrete steel, i first send some one i trust a little to ask for the price he told me 1 rod of 6 meter was 1300 Cfa, then i went to the same place they told me it was 2500 Cfa, it took me 1 day to negociate a fair price for my 400 rods, i count them my self, i count them when they were loaded on a lorry, i traveled with that lorry and counted them again once discharged. crazy
The thing the shop i buy the rods forget is that ill never buy to them again and they lost a good client, people go for the fast and small proffit most opportunists they live today and tomorrow is a other day.
If i can find a shop that i simply can call, send me 400 so and so rods, and they deliver in time for a reasonable price they can aspect more calls from me.
I can continue writing:)
I was in prison twice, why? first time because i was accused to have had sex with a 16 year old girl i had never seen before, this is something ill never do i am happy married for 20 now.
It was all a wicked plan, just to get money and because i refuged to pay i stayed in prison for one week, it was my womans family who got me out.
Second time at Ebolowa i ran into a douane controll post, the man there simply declared my visa not valid, what ever i say, he said "i am a officer of the douane of Cameroun i know the law here and your visa is not valid, but i can revalidate it that ll cost 100000 Cfa" Ha ha ha never, so they kept me for 2 days in prison, my woman got me out paying 2 cases of 33beer, my pasport i have never seen back again we had a verry bad and difficult return to Yaounde, every kilometer a policeman with a bamboo stick om the road, controlling papers i didnt had.
Dont understand me wrong but in Cameroun i am not a nice guy anymore, i dont buy you a beer and i do not want you to buy me a beer because at the end its me who has to pay all beer, now i buy 1 beer and pay directly.
But its such a beautifull country, i realy enjoy sitting some where eat and drink and look at the street.
Best regards
Florisjan

@Florisjan,

Maybe it has just been some bad luck experiences for you, I suppose. This time, just be careful into whatever you do or intend to do. Hope you've learnt from the mistakes; or should I say, the incidents.

When will be your next visit to Cameroon?

wow...what an adventure :)