Splash and Fun

Hiya All,

After having last week on leave and having a great time with my grandkids, I would like to congratulate Splash and Fun especially Patrick Vella there.

For once the system seemed to work in Malta. Normal prices would have put us going in to Splash and fun at about €84.00 for 4 adults and 1 child. Although when I emailed Splash and Fun they did state that a Family Ticket for an ID card Holder was €45.

At the time I had requested what the best price would be for us stating that there was 3 Adults and 2 Children as i didn't realise that my granddaughter was classed as an adult at 13, Patrick said that a Family ticket and an Adult ticket would be the Best.

When we got there the person on the gate asked for my ID card as proof for the family ticket but couldn't give it to me as my granddaughter was over 12.  After a phone call to Mr Vella the ticket girl announced that there was no problem and we could have the Family ticket as Mr Vella said it was fine.

Viva Splash and Fun and Mr Vella for making it a very reasonable day for us.

Note people that you can bring your own food into Splash and Fun and make it an even cheaper day as the food in there is quite expensive.

So we had a great day out, from about 10am to 5pm including bringing our own sandwiches and drinks for €57 euros.....

Quite a Bargain :)

Julian

Glad you guys had a great day but why is it only here that different prices are charged to locals/residents and a much higher price for tourists...why should it be different its the same attraction for both....or is it just another case of fleecing the tourist!!!!!!

I understand what you are saying Toon,

But we could also look at it the other way and ask why the UK doesn't charge less for residents to park in their local carpark than people coming in from else where, why uk citizens have to pay the same for entering our attractions ....

Playing devils advocate to get peoples views....

Although I am with you on this one .... seems to be a fleecing process that i am happy to say i am not being charged for now. Although It could be the wages in Malta are less than other European countries so its like giving back to the Local people.

Julian

I understand that you are glad to not being fleeced anymore...LOL Dont understand why there should be a difference at all Julian - the wages thing doesnt really stack up as how does anyone know what people are paid and then how can they possibly justify charging almost 50% more (in this instance) for a tourist - what seems to be being said here is they make an automatic assumption that because you are EU you are paid more-that isnt necessarily the case and is more of a stereotypical malti attitude...many people come here because they percieve Malta to be affordable not because it is cheap and unfortunately for Malta it is sadly becoming very very apparent that we are the fleecing capital of Europe. A very bad thing for Malta considering its the largest of only two real industries here. sad very very sad.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

A very bad thing for Malta considering its the largest of only two real industries here. sad very very sad.

Agreed !!

Their website makes no mention that an ID is required to takeup the family offer - voucher available on the following

http://www.splashandfun.info/index.php? … icle&id=56

Thats true George, but in the small print that offer finished on June 26th 2011.  When you get to the Gates to enter it shows a Family Ticket price but also states that you have to be a Maltese Resident.... I took the chance that a Maltese ID would be accepted as a proof of residence and it seemed to pay off on this occasion

Not very professional of them to keep out of date promotions on their website

"states that you have to be a Maltese Resident" - guess will have to wait for EU to rule on bus fares to see if this is legal

Other than Enemalta, buses and Splash n Park, what other businesses in Malta actually display that they charge more for tourists than residents ? I've seen some hotels have special offers available to residents only.

Imagine if a restaurant advertised higher prices for tourists

Personally I think it is a good idea that locals get a reduced price on things like this.  When people go on holiday they tend to make allowances for extra spend and take the cash accordingly.  When you live there it is not always possible to visit because of the cost.  I think it should also apply everywhere else too.  I would have loved to go to some places in the UK but the entry costs made it impossible, had I received some discount as a UK citizen perhaps I would have been able to take in more places.

I don't think Splash n Fun are legally justified in discriminatory pricing

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citizens … dex_en.htm

"As an EU national, you cannot be charged a higher price than local residents when buying products or services anywhere else in the EU, unless the price difference is justified"

the justification is normally if the service is subsidised by local taxes so residents are paying for it through their taxes (this is the justification for the bus fares), but I presume Splash n Fun doesn't receive govt subsidies, so not sure how they can justify it legally

Hmmmm just imagine how many traders would fall into this slot..for charging tourists more than locals........ where would busines be then?

sorry i cant agree with the price differences..it should be one price for all (with the exception of OAPs, disabled, children and those in full time education) These prices should be clearly  displayed for all too see.

Back to the original, rather happier topic- I'm glad you had a great time and found them helpful and accommodating. Good service is always appreciated, especially in Malta!

The owners of Splash and Fun must be making a ton of money from that park because they definately arent using any of the profit to fix the place up. I wonder if they've ever had a health and safety inspection or they pay those guys off to keep their mouths shut. Maybe Im a spoiled American who's use to high standards when it comes to Amusment parks but this place in my opinion was disgusting. The lazy river smelled like a sewer, there were standing puddled of green slimmey water everywhere, the steps going up to the slides were slippery and some even loose, the black tube slide smelled like a public bathroom and the crew did everything but their job. I dunno...to me the place should be shut down.

It must be because it's getting to end of season ? we went in July and it was great, it was not Disney Land but great and the kids loved it. I went down the slide with sunglasses on and lost them so had to dive with mask on to bottom, its about 7 feet and even the bottom was ok, filters not blocked or anything. Normally in an area like that it is full of hair and band-aids ask anyone who has worked in a pool. Maybe they had staff shortages or a bad day. Jim

ive always thought it to be a disgrace to be honest.