Family living in Baku

Hi

I am visiting Baku next week to meet with a prospective employer but I am looking for ideas about Baku and what it is like for families.

I have read on various government websites that Baku has various illness issues, petty crime such as pickpocketing and ocassionally muggings in dimly lit areas of the city or near expat apartments in the centre of the city.

Is it a safe environment for a female expat to walk down the street pushing a young baby without getting any hassle or trouble from local gangs of youths?

Is it safe to walk down the street using a mobile without drawing the wrong kind of interest?

What is living like and the conditions?  What is the cost of living?

What are the hospitals like?  I have heard some stories that hospitals are way below normal standards?

What are the stories regarding the local police / military regarding stopping you and having to pay bribes.  What is this for?

What is there to do on an evening and weekends with a young daughter? 

Are the beaches good and is the sea ok to swim in?  I have seen something regarding oil in the Caspian Sea.

Are cars cheap or is it better to get a driver?

These are just a few questions, I am sure I will have more this week and after my visit.

Any responses would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Thanks

Graham

Hi

One other question.

I have heard that items contained within the shipment of furniture and other personal items are missing whent ehy are delivered in Azerbaijan.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

Graham

why so many quiestions? are u moving to Azerbaijan and where exactly?
All mentioned above abt AZerbaijan is wrong, u have been misinformed.
By the way, what u have written abt country happens in most developing countries more often.
Where u come come from, i would compare your home country to Azerbaijan. But before that i will keep quiet...

if u r from Dubai, i was there few weeks ago and then to Baku,i must say Baku has more much more charms in everthing than superclean superartificial Dubaiiii....

Hi Aubreys,
Did you finally move to Baku? ( saw your post on the forum).
I have a Q for you, did you fly from Dubai to Baku?
We are in Abu Dhabi and I needed to figure out some flight connections from here for us and especially the pets.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Smarty.

Graham

I've been working for  the biggest construction projects in Baku. And I am communicating with employees from UK, US, Korea, Turkey and other countries. They have some problems but they all are minor issues. The picture is not so pessimistic as you think. We are developing country. Government investing big money to improve living standards in Baku and we succeed a lot. Our street more safe for anyone despite sex,age & and nation. Some dirt happens everywhere.Baku is expensive but more cheaper than most of western cities. Sea in some areas are dirty but not because of oil.