Education

Hi!

I have three children to educate (Ages 12, 9, & 7).  What can anyone tell me about schooling in Jamaica?  Are there schools for American children?  Is homeschooling available?

Thanks!
AprilAnn

There are a small number of homeschoolers (using the definition most used in the US), as well as a large number of small private schools.  Some of these schools have as few as 4 students per class.  In Jamaica, many people call these very small schools "homeschool".  The American School of Kingston uses American curriculum/philosophy, but is expensive.  It costs about $15,000 per year, many of the students (about 200) are children of diplomats.
Hillel Academy is another great school, typical of what you would find in a "good, suburban" American school.  Approximately 800 kids K-12, class size 25 students.  Hillel has a large number of extracurricular activities and is a very close-knit community.
Homeschooling can be done and is becoming much more popular now than in the past.  However, be warned that the HS experience here will be diff't than in the US.  The libraries are extremely limited and there is not the same level of extra activities commonly found in the States.  That said, the availability of inexpensive help, both household and private tutors, allows us to participate in many activities (at home and outside) than when in the US.  Also, people here tend to more self-sufficient and multi-talented.  It is like living in an urban area with a rural mentality.  Most everyone can sew, build a bookshelf, grow significant amounts of food in their personal garden, identify edible plants/weeds and know natural healing methods (herbs to treat muscle spasms, etc). 

There are many wonderful opportunities here, but, again, they will be different than your experience in the states.

Hi All,

I'm in the process of moving to Jamaica in early 2010. I have a 5 year old...thanks for the school info--I was wondering the same thing. Is there a neighborhood/town where the American expats live? Is there a social circle? I intend to immerse myself in the culture, but I would also be happy to connect with other expats...

Hi, I guess your question on the schooling/education has been answered.

For neighbourhoods, most expats live in Norbrook, Cherry Gardens, Jacks Hill, Waterworks, maybe Beverley Hills and perhaps Long Mountain Country Club, I know the upper class live there.

And yes there is a social circle. Usually as an expat housewife or accompanying spouse (like myself) you'll have social gatherings or one-on-one meet ups with the wives of the men your husband works with. (Assumming you're an expat wife). That's the quickest way to make friends, based on my experience as an expat wife. Sometimes that circle may involve local wives. Back then, before I became an expat I was one of those local wives among expat wives or expat men, as my husband worked pretty closely with expats while we were living full time in Jamaica.

Now we're elsewhere (away from Jamaica) meeting up with other expat families from time to time. Sometimes I'm the only rose among the thorns because not all expat men have families (with them). And I say men because usually it's the man's job that causes the woman to have to relocate to another country. As in my case.

Hope you and your family enjoy Jamaica, and make friends there soon.

Regards,
Samantha