Back To School

Hi Guys,

Need to pick your brains on this,for a while i have been thinking of the best way our company can contribute to the community. I have finally decided to focus on one things and that is get kids back to School. I realize fully poverty is one of the main reasons for this not happening. Here are a few ideas i have and would love to hear your opinions.

1.Focus on kids who are not getting any schooling, since some of them contribute to the family, need to work out a way to compensate the family so the kids remain in school.

2.Find studious students who are struggling to get the books, tuition they need and help them complete their education.

3.Whatever we do, will need to be long term and should have funds to cover the entire schooling period or the purpose is lost.

Funding is not a problem but if anyone wants to work with us on this they are more than welcome. We used to have a fancy dress Ball back in Sri Lanka and raised some decent cash to build some orphanages . What i am looking for is any insight on how best to approach this, where to go if you know as we want to make sure the money will be put to good use. I am sure some of you are already working on similar projects so would love to hear.

Thanks!

sir alex
This topic is also close to my heart, but I am too new to have done anything in Vietnam.

You are in an enviable situation to have the resources which is always the hardest thing. Once you have the money, you have the luxury problem to decide who to help since there are so many.

Here is something I have seen and would have modeled after if I were to do sth, and want to be involved. It all depends on how big your resources are.

1. If not a lot of resources: find worthy children through your informal network. Give money for them to help them with one year of schooling (books and expense). Tie the donors with recipients if possible through annual report cards (to get some human bonds): the kids must write a progress report after the year telling the donors what they have done with the money with, preferably, verification from the teacher. Depend on the progress you give the kids another year of tuition.

Who to pick: it all depends on what you like most: Kids would have done well in school but must/will likely drop out to help families (most likely girls), kids which could have done even better if they have more resources,...

2. If you have more permanent resources: Set up an formal charity organization with boards and screening/selecting committee.

The easiest way is to team up with/donate through a reputable NGO already working on the issues you want to help. There is a directory of NGOs where you can search.
http://www.ngocentre.org.vn/ingodirectory

You can go also and find a local special-need school (blind, handicapped, orphanage,..) and work with them.

You can also go to the local church and temple. They have good connection with the local society and can help you find people in need worthy of help.

Hi Sir Alex,

That is very kind, very thoughtful of you, my man.  But, it is going to be a very tough pill to swallow. 

I used to have a scholarship fund in Can Tho myself.  It was 9 years ago.  I used to collect money from my community back in the US, my family, my friends, my company and my pocket, to help smart kids from poor families go to college.  Back then, I had tons of helps from my family and friends here though, many of whom had worked their whole life in education. 

Annually, we used to give out scholarships (tuitions, books and boards) to students with good academic standings, who were from finacially-challenged families.  We focused on this group because we felt that it was in the best position to contribute to this society.  Furthermore, this was the group that I and the people who were helping me knew best.

We gave out a total of 12 scholarships, in the 2 years that we were operational (5 in year one, same 5 + 2 new ones in year two).  It was fun, but exhausting work though.  I had to do final checks on all applicants, including the dreaded in-house visits (sometimes there were no road, or just a tiny bike trail, with serious "ruou de" drinkings).

But, by the beginning of our second year, the local authorities got wind of our works.  At first, they came to me for coffees and drinks.  Then, some began to ask that their "nieces or nephews" be awarded our scholarships.  When we closed our books on the second year without any of their children being awarded, issues arose.

They wanted me to "properly register" my works; and for a foreigner, at that time, it would have cost 3/4 the amount of the scholarships that we were giving out.  I was livid, but didn't have much to turn to back then.  I was left with only 2 options, go big or fold.  I decided to fold.  I just felt that it didn't worth the efforts; and that was without personal income tax laws.

Now, it might be far worst.  So, be really careful with who you tango with. 

Another note about the Vietnamese educational system:  Just a couple of weeks ago, one of my local friends approached me about having a couple of beers with one of the school administrators that I knew.  Then, on the way to the restaurant my friend gave me the equivalent of $2000 USDs and asked me give it to my administrator friend and request his help in getting my friend's child into this particular elementary school.  I was like, What?  Elementary school??  And it already works this way??? 

Well, we had our beers, the kid is in the desired school, but no money changed hands.  Until this day, I still don't know why it had to be that way:  why this early or why so much?  But, the one thing that I do know is the system is that crooked and it runs that deep, Sir Alex.

See what you can do it.  Keep me posted, though.  If you have questions, don't hesitate to give me a buzz.

Best wishes,
Howie

Another thing Sir Alex,

After I pulled the plug on the scholarship fund, I shifted my focus and energy to my contractors and their employees.  I figured that if he/she did well, somewhere someome--a sibling, a relative or a child--would have a chance at a better education(Note: the typical Vietnamese family is very well extended). 

So, I sacrified a little bit of my margin for higher social standards.  Ours used to be higher than those prescribed by Walmart, JC Penny or Sears. Not only that, I also offered rewards for high qualities and early completions, and made sure that those rewards reach the employees accordingly.

It worked out really well for all hands, especially me.  Until this day, I still recall the smiles as my cuts traveled through the lines.