Formalities to bring your pet in Sri Lanka

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Sri Lanka?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Sri Lanka?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Sri Lanka?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

I know one friend who brought his kitty from Thailand. He said he didn't face much difficulties.. May be inside Asia it wasn't a problem

Hello Juien,

I live in the UK and it used to be very strict here, more than any other country.  However since the 1 January 2012, the laws have changed to meet european standards and agreements have been made to other countries from round the world.  If you look up DEFRA, basically if you have a pet passport and all necessary vaccines, taking most pets ie dogs and cats to Sri Lanka is straight forward.    So should you want to bring them back, as long as they are chipped and kept vaccines upto date is pretty easy.  I think its just a small admin fee to pay at the airport which I think is between 500-1000 lkr.  The srilankan embassy in london or a air transport company have more info on this.   

I am myself considering bringing my 2 dogs, so they can can enjoy the beach and good weather with me.

Let me know how it all goes.

roderick

Hi,

Just saw your post, did u manage to get your dogs out to srilanka?
if so; which airline did they go with?

I also plan to take my pug to sri lanka, could any one recommend a good agent to do this? he has all the necessary vaccines.

Any recomendations appreciated!