Formalities to bring your pet in Bulgaria

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Bulgaria?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Bulgaria?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Bulgaria?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

Here is a very detailed info, and it is up to date: bbs.angloinfo.com/countries/bulgaria/pettravel.asp

But, I have heard folks that swear it was a joke upon arrival.

Oh my! its quite a long,long process,we have a house in yambol,and wanted to take our cat,we were told by out vet that the rabies took over 7 months as you have to have them tested 1st,then vaccinated,then retested and a large cost,along with others,cat flu,feline aids? and 2 others,we went through the whole process and then discovered that it was over £1200 to fly him out,you can take them out but not bring them back without another test? we still got stung at the other end,2000bg levs and we are still not sure what for!but please take into account the change in the weather,our village topped 132 last year and he just couldnt cope:( defra are the best place to ring as some countries vary when you get there.

As I wrote several times before, bringing a cat into Bulgaria is relatively hassle free. The rabies shot (if I remember correctly) needs to be administered 30 days prior to leaving and all you need. Unless you are extremely unlucky, no retesting will be needed.

You will also need to have a chip implanted - shame you can't wait until you get to Bulgaria to do so, as it cost me a mere 35 leva for chip AND passport.

You will be happy to know the vets are very inexpensive, caring and compassionate, with no nonsense thrown in for a bonus. In Vinitsa, Varna (where I lived) the vets came to the house for close to nothing and in some cases only charged for treatment. A tooth extraction cost 50 lev, where stateside, it would have been between $300 and $500 USD.

The link you were given above takes care of everything on the legal end, and as I noted, 30 days (4 weeks) prior to arrival is the time for a rabies shot.

After arriving in Varna, I joked and said I could have brought in an elephant, said it was a butterfly and would have had no problems.

I came from the US. I know traveling TO the UK is somewhat of a process with the 6 month waiting period, but savvy pet travelers take care of everything in advance.

Oh, and if you have a cat and it is feasible, I suggest you bring some of the litter kitty is used to as the litter there is pretty bad. I used to have friends who traveled back and forth to the UK bring my favorite brand (World's Best) in the largest sizes available.

You will also find a lot of strays everywhere in Bulgaria, but don't let the dogs alarm you. For the most part, they are quite friendly. If you are walking back from the market and have meat in your bag, you'll be sure to attract a few friends along the way. :)

Best of luck to you and let us know how you found the process.

:top:

Hello all,
Has anyone taken their cats into Bulgaria recently? Would be great to hear of your experiences, especially arriving into Sofia airport. Many thanks.

Hi SushiFee,

Please note that this thread is quite old.

I suggest you to create a new topic on the Bulgaria forum, this might help you find some more recent information. :)

Thank you,

David.

Thank you David, was hoping this  thread would still be read by those with pets.
Prixters, unfortunately I'm coming with my cats from the middle east so would have to fly them into Sofia airport. Ohh dear hope it's not too horrendous!  :(