Formalities to bring your pet in the Philippines

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in the Philippines?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in the Philippines?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in the Philippines?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

Sorry for the ridiculously long reply, I wish I had all this information in one place when I started the process earlier this year, so hopefully someone can use it. We did this with our dog from Canada in May this year. The paperwork was fairly easy. You need to apply for a permit and can do that by emailing your information and application form to [email protected].

Here's the link to where I downloaded a blank, filled it in and then attached to my email http://www.bai.ph/Images/photos/link/Ap … Phils..pdf

They offer an online application here http://www.bai.ph/?page=onlinepermits I did that and it didn't seem to work so we emailed it and they issued the permit in just a few days, scanned it and emailed it to us as we had requested it be emailed back to us instead of fax.

FOR DOGS AND CATS They want this info:

a. species, breed and weight (in kgs) of animal
b. sex, color and number of pets
c. expected date of arrival
d. home address/contact info
I included all our contact info and flight details in the body of the email (as well as his microchip number, but that wasn't a requirement).

This is cut from what they told me:

Applications to import dogs and cats shall be subject to the following conditions:

1. That the animals should be accompanied by a health certificate issued shortly before
shipment by the proper veterinary authority of the country of origin stating that the animals
have been carefully examined and found to be free from and have not been exposed to
dangerous communicable animal diseases;
2. That in countries not considered free of rabies, an additional certification is required to the
effect that there are no cases or rabies within a twenty (20) kilometer radius from the point of
origin during the last six (6) months; (a simple letter signed by a vet will do or noted in the notes on the health certificate)
3. That the animals should be accompanied by a valid vaccination certificate against rabies,
canine,distemper, infectious hepatitis leptospirosis, canine parvovirus or feline
panleucopenia. For countries considered to be free from rabies, vaccination could be
waived;
4. That the animals were treated for internal and external parasites; (this consisted of one pill and the vet to sign my dog is on flea and tick treatments (he uses Heartguard and Advantage), we listed the brand and drug names on the vaccination cert)
5. If the animal arrived unaccompanied by said health and vaccination certificates or are
showing signs of dangerous communicable animal disease, they must be quarantined
and/or disposed of without compensation at the discretion of the Director of Animal Industry;
6. Four months old and above are only allowed to ship to the Philippines;
7. The approved import permit is valid only for two (2) months from date of approval.
8. The importer should pay the inspection and SPS Import Clearance fees at the BAI
Quarantine office at the Port of Entry upon arrival.
SPS Import Clearance Fee: P 100.00
Inspection Fee:
- First two heads  P  250.00
- In excess of 2 heads  P  300.00/head
9. The customs requirements state that pets are subject to the payment of 50% duty of original value of the animal and an additional 10% tax. (I think this is where we were charged an extra 900 pesos)

The issuance fee of 100 pesos and inspection fee are 250 pesos we paid in cash upon arrival at the Veterinary Quarantine Unit, Ninoy Aquino International Airport. (this was a counter by the customs checkpoint.)

For some reason we had to pay the stated 350P twice at two different counters. In total we paid 1600 pesos at three different counters for our dog to be released. We didn't care why the numbers were larger, we were just happy to pay and get out of there.

They required the valid health certificate/vaccination papers (issued shortly before shipment) from the country of origin to be presented upon arrival. Even though it was taped to our carrier we had another set of copies and I recommend this because we didn't have access to the crate for the first part of the paperwork as we shipped our dog cargo and he was in another building as we cleared customs and did the initial paperwork inspection. If you can ship your pet as luggage I strongly suggest you do. We won't make that mistake again.

The inspection agent at the airport signed that our dog was under 30 day house quarantine and needed our new local address filled in on the permit upon arrival.

Mainly due to the fact that we shipped the dog cargo the whole process took 3 hours from the time we landed, if we didn't have someone with a car at the airport we would have had to take taxis from the cargo area to the terminal four times.

This is the contact we were in touch with at the BAI:
Virgie B. Tiong
National Veterinary Quarantine Services
Bureau of Animal Industry
Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City
Philippines
Tel. No. (632) 920-0816
Fax No. (632) 920-0815
E-mail [email protected]

I can't remember which number worked, it was one of the four here, sorry. I just kept trying them til someone answered. The above were in an email we got, the below are what's listed online that I bookmarked at some point.
Tel. No. (632) 925-4343; 928-1778; 928-2429 (fax)
E-mail: [email protected]

Forgot to include this link, it's a sample import so you know what they look like

http://www.livingincebu.org/files/pdf_f … permit.pdf

Hi CanAmCouple!

Brilliant post :top:

Thanks ;)

Armand

I agree with Armand, BRILLIANT! Thanks for the information CanAmCouple :top:

Hello CanamCouple,i have question for you cos i am planning to bring my little dog to phillipines.if going to bring my dog with me by plane as an excess luggage and hes gonna be in plane for about 18 hours,the thing that worries me is how he can go pee or drink some water.and also as u said above about the 30 days house quarantine it means u can still bring your dog with you that time if you are out of that airport?
hope you can reply my question here soon so i know already and i will be feel comfortable bringing my dog with me to philippines.

thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

wow that was great of you,even though i wont be bringing my pitbulls with me hahahahaha,thanks anyway great information!!!!

Pls, is there anyone that could send me that application form for a permit to bring our dogs to Philippines?
Thanks a lot for this favor.
Lourdes

Hello CanamCouple,i have question for you cos i am planning to bring my little dog to phillipines.if going to bring my dog with me by plane as an excess luggage and hes gonna be in plane for about 18 hours,the thing that worries me is how he can go pee or drink some water.and also as u said above about the 30 days house quarantine it means u can still bring your dog with you that time if you are out of that airport?
hope you can reply my question here soon so i know already and i will be feel comfortable bringing my dog with me to philippines.

thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

where from the philippines are you planning to ship your dogs? maybe I can help you in facilitation. I'm from cebu city.

Hello caipirinia and danao357 :)

I think that having a closer look to the reponses of CanAmCouple might give you useful tips and at the same time answers to your questions.

Thanks

Karen

caipirinia wrote:

Pls, is there anyone that could send me that application form for a permit to bring our dogs to Philippines?
Thanks a lot for this favor.
Lourdes

Read the post by CanamCouple

Julien wrote:

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in the Philippines?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in the Philippines?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

I was just wondering..Why is it after almost two years of posting this you had never thanked CanamCouple for their wonderful advice..They took much time to help you...Even though you gave an advanced thanks a followup THANK YOU would encourage others to take time to help other Expats...

Hello!! I want to bring my dog to cebu I live in montreal. What cargo company did you use to fly your dog there ?

Thank you

@ Lauriane33 >

To whom are you talkiing to please?
If you are looking for further information, i would advise you to create your own thread on the Philippines forum, to introduce yourself and to ask all your questions.
We will be happy to help you as far as possible :)

Have a nice day,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Thank you so much for such a detailed response.
Would you know if there's a limit to the number of pets one can import ?
Thanks in advance :)

Hi I'm from England and looking to move to the Philippines soon and want to bring my 7 year old 44kg Labrador could you please tell me what injections are required and anything else that would be helpful many thanks ?

Julien wrote:

Hi all,

Hi, you need to have your dog vaccinated against rabies, distemper, gastrointestinal etc. Basically something known as 10in1. You also need to have a health certificate along with a fit to fly from an authorised vet, & apply for an import permit before you fly your puplet in

I'll be relocating back to my hometown after living in Singapore for 10 years. I want to bring my dog along with me. He's a small 14-year-old Shih Tzu with no medical issues. How do I start with the processing?