Formalities to bring your pet in Bermuda

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Bermuda?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Bermuda?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Bermuda?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

Bermuda has very well defined rules for pet importation.  The good news is that if you follow everything to the letter, it is quite easy.  The bad news is that you must follow everything to the letter, exceptions will be rejected.

The best source of information is from the government's Department of Environmental Protection, Animal Husbandry Office, which assesses your application to import the pet into Bermuda.  Here is the current link to the application form.  http://www.bermuda-online.org/Applicati … nimals.pdf

The Government of Bermuda has several dogs that are on the restricted and prohibited list.  That information is available on their website at this link http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?open … ached=true  Pitbulls, Brazilian Mastiff's, and Bulldogs are prohibited and cannot be imported...although ironically the pitbull is the most common dog you see on the island.  Legally, they can destroy the animal, and it has happened.  So if you have a pet you love on the prohibited or restricted list, do your research carefully and think long and hard on the matter.

Your pet must be microchipped.

No more than 10 days prior to travel, you must submit the application to import your pet to the government and wait approval before moving your pet.  Along with that application you must supply a vet's certificate of health showing that they have been examined no more than 10 days prior to travel to Bermuda, and that they were treated on that day with one of the approved tick treatments, that they have not been exposed to rabies or quarantined in a certain time period, and their vaccination history.  I strongly advise that you take all the information from the website to your veterinarian, as it specifically lists which products may or may not be used for the tick treatment.  As an extra precaution, pay careful attention to the vaccination requirements,  Although Bermuda is rabies free, animals from certain countries have to have a vaccination at 3 months, and again at 6-12 months of age.  My pets were vaccinated at 4 months and 12 months, and every year after for the next 12 years.  They were initially rejected from import to Bermuda when I moved as they wanted to see a history of 2 vaccinations in 8 months.  A rational discussion of immunology was fruitless, as was appeal, and so my beloved furballs were required to remain in Canada until they got a second rabies shot in the same year...in their 12th year of life.  If you have any discrepancies...sort it out early if you can.

The best news is that there is no quarantine period.  You and your furry friends can head directly to your new home together.  It is advisable to talk to your vet about flea treatment -- the warmer weather means that any pet that goes outside stands a good chance of encountering fleas, which of course can lead to anemia, worms, and a lot of laundry.  I never treated my pets for fleas in Canada, but the vet here got me on the right track with that advice right away.

When planning your move to Bermuda, you also have to check the airline regulations very carefully.  If your pet can travel in the cabin with you that is best.  The high temperatures experienced in Bermuda make it very often too hot for a pet to be transported below the cabin on an aircraft.  Some airlines used to restrict pet travel to Bermuda between May and October, which is a good guideline, but now some restrict on any day where temperatures may be above a certain temperature during any city on the travel itinerary.  This is good for your pet, but can be very hard to predict, and so if you can, take them in the cabin, or consider travel Noveber to March (assuming it's not too cold for them to travel on the other end of your itinerary).

The last thing you must have prepared for your pet's move to Bermuda is their value to customs.  If you have a purebred pet that you have paid to own, you will be expected to produce a receipt for that pet and will pay duty on that pet just like you pay duty to bring in electronics and new items.  In my case, I got my cats from a free ad in a free newspaper more than 12 years ago.  I was stopped by the customs agent and asked for the receipt for those cats.  I stared blankly and said "excuse me?"  She told me I needed a receipt to bring them into the country.  I froze in terror at the idea that they might not allow my pets in after one rejected application and 5 sad, catless months in Bermuda already.  I explained that I did not buy them, that I got them for free.  She told me I still had to pay duty on their value, so what were they worth to me.  My mind quickly calculated the 25% duty of one billion dollars and I realized that was the wrong answer.  "Well, I got them for free 12 years ago, I guess they have depreciated to less than zero," feeling their little eyes look incredulously at me from their cages at the insult, "and the striped one bites.  I couldn't give these things away."  The customs agent narrowed her eyes and said "you have to pay something."  I stared right back and said "I know it's illegal to lie to a customs agent, but I have told you the truth and you seem to want me to say something different.  You are going to have to tell me what that is because I don't know what else to tell you."  "I'm calling my manager," she said.  The manager came over and said, "alright, suppose you lost these two cats here and you were going to put up a poster to get them back, how much reward would you offer?"  "huh?  I dunno, $25?"  "That's it?!  That's all these cats are worth to you?"  "I would return someone's cat for free if it were me."  So, they charged me $25...for each cat, and used a red rubber stamp on my papers that said "subsequent failure to report dutiable items shall result in a $10,000 fine."  "What's this stamp mean?"  I said, but then just decided to take my cats and run for the nearest taxi.

Customs has become A LOT friendlier after the government change in 2012.  I doubt anyone else would have this experience now.  But...I notice the duty is still on the import form, so if you have documentation, bring it along.

Bear in mind that like everywhere, rental accommodations can be harder to find and sometimes more expensive with pets.  Be prepared to spend a lot of time looking for just the right place, but they are out there.

If your pet has a special diet, check with the local veterinarians or pet shops to see if they food is available.  Shipping to Bermuda is ridiculously expensive...I just make visitors travel with a bag of cat food each, and fill my luggage every visit home.  The local vets are Endsmeet Veterinary Hospital (I have had great experiences there), and Ettwick  which I have not used as is in a different area.  Noah's Ark and Pic-a-Pet have a good assortment of beds, toys, etc.

If your pet needs a companion while you lazy around on the beach, please consider adopting from the Bermuda SPCA.  There are many feral cats in Bermuda, and the SPCA does its best to rehome kittens and neuter and spay homeless or abandoned pets.  I currently have a couple of loving additions in my home from my days as a volunteer there.

Best of luck on your move.

Hi lostbutlovingit,

Thank you for sharing these useful information, this might surely help members looking to bring their pet in Bermuda.

Can you please shared the source of these hints. ;)

Regards,

David.

Hi David,

The source of the tips is all personal experience, but I will list the website of the places I mentioned.

For forms and information, go directly to the government requirements at
http://www.animals.gov.bm/portal/server.pt

My vet clinic is Endsmeet Animal Hospital and they are wonderful
http://www.endsmeet.bm/

There is also a vet clinic in Warwick called Ettrick Animal Hospital which I have not used simply as the other is closer and I was happy there. 
http://ettrick.bm/

And of course the Bermuda SPCA is a wonderful animal shelter that can always use help with volunteers, fosters, and is a great place to just go hang out and pet cats if you can't have your own (or get a kitten fix if yours are full grown).  Stop by and see it for yourself.
http://www.spca.bm/