View from a foreigner

hi guys
selam aleikum to my new egyptian friends.
i just read the conversation with samy's comments and other's responses.
i'm not going to add fuel to the fire, but may i please just say a few things from a canadian?

1. while visiting egypt i was so impressed with the dignity of the people i met; i come from society that is supposed to be "developed" however north americans are lacking in your discipline, patience, reverance for elders, your value of family and friends etc. this is what i see as egypt. in the face of such difficulties almost 99% of the people i met had dignity and grace and leaned on their faith to sustain them. pretty remarkable given the challenges, as it would be justified to feel entitled and erode civility. so again, i'm really impressed with egyptians

2. your revolution is yours. not the world's and i was appalled with the western media and other middle eastern nations who felt "self determination" was their right, but not yours. i will always support your right for dignity, freedom, security and basic human needs (ie: food, work, health care and hope for the future). so as a foreigner, i will support and contribute via chairty etc but is not my place to interfere. your country has had far too much interference and needs the freedom now to self govern. you can and will do it.

3. every single egyptian regardless or faith, education or place in society has the right to be respected. if someone is struggling because of inherited corruption and deprivation, go and help him pull himself up. titles and formal education do not make a man or a woman.

4. and guys, i do love egypt. but i will never interfere but i will share why i feel this way. north america and europe are not the land of milk and honey. every society has its trade-offs. what you gain by leaving egypt, you may come to feel isn't worth what you lost. (not sure i said that right...but i think you'll get my drift)

5. the only thing i would like to caution all egyptians right now, is to be wise. ie: your country needs its economy in tact - important demonstrations have value but undermining the world's opinion in your nation does not serve your purpose; you need to employ egyptians so they can feed their families and put money back into the economy. youth has dynamic energy the revolution needs but please be careful to be inclusive. consult your elders, have free elections, be mindful of change and how long it takes. you cannot deliver "freedom" overnight to oppressed people then feel surprised they don't know what to do with it.

i watched your revolution and cheered for every single down-troddened egyptian i had come to love. the significance of your fight was not lost on me. i have loads of photos on my ipod of the revolution, i went to a toronto rally and urged my egyptian friends to do the same...i've kept newspapers for historical momentos etc. so this revolution is still an example of unity, courage and dignity.

be well.

k

Wa Alikom Al Salam,

Thanks Katyusha that was lovely rarely do I see someone non-biased mostly against Egypt :)

As you pointed out there are always trade offs when u make a choice to stay or leave :)

Every human being has the right to be respected in his country as well as in other countries :)

I don't think anybody can forget the revolution just hope people don't get side tracked

Thanks again :)

Kathryn, as I told you before, you are always impressing me by your way in expressing your feelings,it is really interesting and I appreciate your love to Egypt so much, thanks a million walahy

Am happy that you were watching our revolution from toronto and having the videos on your IPOD, thanks for encouraging your egyptian friends to go to Toronto rally and thank u for going there

Can you imagine now the difference between your opinion and Samy's opinion,you believe that everything happened for a reason and the results are not nice because of the recession and the corruption that we have, you think and analyse and then you judge, I like that on you Kathryn:)
Am happy because 99% of the people u met had dignity and grace, hope it is gonna be 100%

And by the way, I do really love canadians and i love to deal with them coz they are really so nice and very well educated,I loved them more when I dealt with them in my company

And you are one of the best canadian ever;):)

The video that u sent to me was really touchy, thank you for caring about us & for following the news & for your offer to help

Have a great day and looking forward to see more of your posts sweet
Have a great day in Toronto;):)

Katyusha: first of all thank you for all these good nice deep feelings.
2ndly, I have 3 feelings now 1)HOPE- 2)FEAR- 3)HAPPINESS
1) HOPE: that Future will be drawn as we dreamed in the SQUARE.
2) FEAR: of this 1% is growing up ,and it will be a real disaster.
3) HAPPINESS: that EGYPT is not inspiring only Egyptians,and Egypt is growing up abroad.Im happy also by words (dignity ,grace,reverence for elders, your value of family and friends)
it is really TOUCHY
P.S: u will find the word Touchy more in ur articles and posts Im sure of it ;)

As an egyptian am proud to know you Katyusha and all your comments made me hypnotized.
You shall be really our famous activist as you are such a great supporter for our case and we respect all your point of views :)
we have to be wise in order to make our economy more higher than before as for a banker i understood that we will be facing some troubles soon and i hope citizens will realize how to end this gap and start refreshing our nation again.

Way to go, Katyusha ....... :D Nice write up

The Egyptian wrote:

Way to go, Katyusha ....... :D Nice write up

shukran guys.
i am not full of myself or standing on a soap box.
just felt the view of an outsider/foreigner was warranted given the exchange yesterday.
be well,
salam
k

mero928 wrote:

Katyusha: first of all thank you for all these good nice deep feelings.
2ndly, I have 3 feelings now 1)HOPE- 2)FEAR- 3)HAPPINESS
1) HOPE: that Future will be drawn as we dreamed in the SQUARE.
2) FEAR: of this 1% is growing up ,and it will be a real disaster.
3) HAPPINESS: that EGYPT is not inspiring only Egyptians,and Egypt is growing up abroad.Im happy also by words (dignity ,grace,reverence for elders, your value of family and friends)
it is really TOUCHY
P.S: u will find the word Touchy more in ur articles and posts Im sure of it ;)

thanks mero...i'm going to take that as a compliment:)

don moe wrote:

As an egyptian am proud to know you Katyusha and all your comments made me hypnotized.
You shall be really our famous activist as you are such a great supporter for our case and we respect all your point of views :)
we have to be wise in order to make our economy more higher than before as for a banker i understood that we will be facing some troubles soon and i hope citizens will realize how to end this gap and start refreshing our nation again.

i can't help but think of what could have been had the former regime empowered citizens and encouraged them to hope & dream? wow, what a difference that would have made. think of the collective energy and force that would have created. abusers are threatened and control the very thing they fear - the assertion of individual power. what a shame. have confidence in your resilience. if the ingenuity i witnessed of the common egyptian in response to abuse and corroption was then channeled towards self fulfillment, your country will make a remarkable recovery.

semsema135 wrote:

Kathryn, as I told you before, you are always impressing me by your way in expressing your feelings,it is really interesting and I appreciate your love to Egypt so much, thanks a million walahy

Am happy that you were watching our revolution from toronto and having the videos on your IPOD, thanks for encouraging your egyptian friends to go to Toronto rally and thank u for going there

Can you imagine now the difference between your opinion and Samy's opinion,you believe that everything happened for a reason and the results are not nice because of the recession and the corruption that we have, you think and analyse and then you judge, I like that on you Kathryn:)
Am happy because 99% of the people u met had dignity and grace, hope it is gonna be 100%

And by the way, I do really love canadians and i love to deal with them coz they are really so nice and very well educated,I loved them more when I dealt with them in my company

And you are one of the best canadian ever;):)

The video that u sent to me was really touchy, thank you for caring about us & for following the news & for your offer to help

Have a great day and looking forward to see more of your posts sweet
Have a great day in Toronto;):)

yala yasmine!
when are you comin to toronto?

Y30 wrote:

Wa Alikom Al Salam,

Thanks Katyusha that was lovely rarely do I see someone non-biased mostly against Egypt :)

As you pointed out there are always trade offs when u make a choice to stay or leave :)

Every human being has the right to be respected in his country as well as in other countries :)

I don't think anybody can forget the revolution just hope people don't get side tracked

Thanks again :)

sometimes i feel for new comers to north america.
what a culture shock.
that's why i say "it ain't all good"
but i do understand Y, my family came from ireland only 3 generations ago.

i could not agree more with you Katyusha.. well said

Hi Katyusha, thanks for your well-rounded and educated opinions :) I agree with pretty much everything you wrote ;) To me it's all about managing expectations, acknowledging that revolutions don't happen overnight but that we shouldn't give up hope or stop persevering :)

I only just read all that other nonsense in the closed topic... stirred up a bit of a hornets' nest there didn't I?! Sorry everyone, I didn't mean for that to happen, but it's an emotive subject (for me too!!) and I guess it's difficult for me and you all not to react strongly to ignorance.

Thanks so much for all your words of support :D I'm already looking forward to being back in Cairo, but it's a few weeks away yet... sorry to momentarily hijack your topic Katyusha :D Are you  returning to Cairo any time?
Elaine

eltviola wrote:

Hi Katyusha, thanks for your well-rounded and educated opinions :) I agree with pretty much everything you wrote ;) To me it's all about managing expectations, acknowledging that revolutions don't happen overnight but that we shouldn't give up hope or stop persevering :)

I only just read all that other nonsense in the closed topic... stirred up a bit of a hornets' nest there didn't I?! Sorry everyone, I didn't mean for that to happen, but it's an emotive subject (for me too!!) and I guess it's difficult for me and you all not to react strongly to ignorance.

Thanks so much for all your words of support :D I'm already looking forward to being back in Cairo, but it's a few weeks away yet... sorry to momentarily hijack your topic Katyusha :D Are you  returning to Cairo any time?
Elaine

hi elaine!
pleasure to meet you :)
and please, post away! i'm not teritorial...i really do enjoy hearing other people's perspectives on all things. i agree,  perseverence and resilience is most crucial.
as for moi, i do hope to be in egypt in the new year. contingent on my contract being renewed or extended. i work at a large paediatric hospital and love what i do. my heart is set on relocating to doha as we're partnering with another medical corporation there to build a new childrens hospital. God willing...
when i do book my trip i would really enjoy meeting you should be in cairo at the same time. i plan on spending a few days in alexandria and luxor too.
keeping a keen eye on the situation in london too. good article in the guardian yesterday. have posted the link below in case you want to read it. provides insight into build up behind the tension...and i must say, i appreciated a number of points the author made:

http://gu.com/p/3x659

be well elaine,
k