Car insurance

I am buying a second hand car in Quito and need to know about the insurance requirements as far as the law is concerned and if anyone can recommend a place from which I can get insurance? Can anyone help?

Hello damiansm!

I hope that other members will help you soon.

Harmonie.:)

There is a mandatory insurance to cover basic medical costs for victims in a potential accident called SOAT (seguro obligatorio de accidentes de transito). The sell it on every corner here in Quito. It costs $40-60 per year, but does not cover any property damage. If you want more, and if your budget permits maybe it is a good idea, you have to visit individual insurance companies, for example Ecuatoriana Swiza offers all kinds of insurances. Just to give you an idea, a full coverage for a $50K car runs about $1300 per year. No experience with how they response to claims.

call my Insurance man: Mauricio Davilla, his office is up by midlle of the world, but he will come to your home or office. a great guy w/ a good bit of English, y likes to practice it, tell him gringo jack sent u?
buenas suerte on a used car in EC. u must have bought it from a friend or friend of the family?
saludos, jack

hi!  the insurance advise on this blog seems great.
I want to buy a second hand car, and need advice, pitfalls to avoid, etc.    I'm on a tourist visa, coming in and out of the country when 90-day tourist visa expires