Planing to live in Pakistan

Hello,
I am living in Sweden for the past 36 years and now intend moving back to my roots.

I hope to enjoy being on this forum and look forward to some important information from the members.

Saied

Hello Saied and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that you will have a lot of nice contacts here and that other members will share their experience with you.

All the best,
Harmonie.:)

Hello again,
I would be happy to establish contact with anyone who has recently moved to Karachi and would be delighted to know how you are coping with the security in Karachi regarding the ongoing target killing and bomb blasts. I have heard many stories of mugging, car robbery at gunpoint etc etc. Are there any safe places to live? How about the water supply and electricity? Anyone with some experience of solar electric system?
I would highly appreciate some sort of feedback.
Thanks/Saied

As salaamu alaikum
Alhamdulillah I have just recently arrived in Karachi and despite everything you read or watch online, the situation on a day to day basis has not been anything like I thought it would be before my arrival.  Of course, this is only my second week here.  But I have been all over the city and have felt safe.  I am American and Muslim and travel about only in the company of Pakistani family members - so that may be why I don't particularly feel insecure. 

As far as safe places to live, to my limited knowledge, the safest places to live would include Clifton, DHA, and Civil Lines. 

I have not had any issues with water or electricity, all thanks be to God - we live in a building with a built-in back-up generator so there is always electricity.  Moving from the states, I have not felt any difference in terms of access to water or electricity - though you don't drink the tap water but this isn't an issue as almost everyone has a large water dispenser or a filter system at the kitchen tap from what I can tell. 

As I said, my experience is limited.  But reading about the situation here and living it has proven to be two very different things.  Everyone here has been so gracious - the hospitality is amazing! 

Things to keep in mind - the traffic is INSANE, the city needs to be given a bath (would love for the New York City Sanitation Department to come give some lessons), and it is hot & humid - just like living in Houston, Texas.  Oh, and from someone who has lived in a country where people treat their pets like children, it is hard to see so many animals on the streets.  But then again, there are people in such poverty that it will make you cry. 

Be prepared for culture shock - I am still waiting for it to kick in. 

Insha'Allah this is helpful.

Assalam o Alaikum Aisha and thanks for your views.

I really appreciate that you took time to write a detailed aspect of life in Karachi. Well I hope your views donŽt change even after a longer stay there.

I had also thought of living in those areas which you mentioned. The most astonishing thing in your comments is “no issues with electricity and water”. Most probably the electrical company was more merciful during Ramadan.

One thing for sure that I have to engage a driver because I donŽt think I would be able to drive a car in Karachi, having been used to driving in Sweden where one can literally drive blindfold and still come home safely :)

I am fully aware of the culture shock. IŽll be coming to Karachi on an exploring trip to assess what would it take to settle down there. I am really scared of getting things done without having to pay under the table.

Have a nice and safe stay in Karachi.
Saied

As salaamu alaikum

I know it sounds impossible, but alhamdulillah I have yet to see the electricity go off even after Ramadan - at our home.  We live in an apartment building with a built in back up generator - so even if the electricity does go off, it is automatically switched over to the generator and there is no break in electricity alhamdulillah.  We recently visited a friend's apartment and when the electricity went off, they had to manually switch to the generator so there was a few minutes delay.  Thus, my suggestion is to rent or purchase a flat where there is a built in generator.    In terms of water, I have also not experienced any issues with availability alhamdulillah.  Again, I think it depends on the building in which you live. 

A driver is a VERY good idea and worth EVERY rupee you will pay them.  Besides, they are not that expensive at least compared to what I thought it would cost compared to similar services in the United States.  I am now totally spoiled - you never have to find a parking space and always have front door service which helps with battling the heat alhamdulillah.

I think the actual lifestyle in Karachi is good if you have financial resources - much easier compared to living in the United States in my opinion.  As a housewife, I would have a lot more work in the United States - here my refrigerator is stocked with the staples without me thinking about it, I don't have to cook if I don't feel like it as someone else will cook then clean the dishes and put them away, the laundry is done and put away, the house is cleaned, and I don't have to drive.  I did all of this plus worked full time and went to graduate school in the US - so life is much more pleasant in many ways.

I hope you enjoy your time in Karachi insha'Allah and find it as welcoming and interesting as I have found it.

Salam-o-alikum to All,

I am a resident of Karachi. well, just to add in your information.

things are not so good from last few months but still everyone is busy in his/her daily routine life.

Target killing change into Nationalism and know even local innocent people are victims.

General routine for Electric Supply is 90 minutes load shadding Thrice a day. those who can arrange are surviving on Genertors or UPS.

Rangers is doing operations to arrest the criminals, hopefully things may get better but apparently its not looking to get resolve in few days.
before shifting to pakistan, do make a visit and if you find you can live with these hassle, its great.

Its also true, with all above facts, we are having all the fun,Marriages,exams,religious activities,shopping & daily routine life as busy as ever before : )

A A
Thanks for your views.

Take care

Saied

hi saied
i am retired in the philippines and plan to remain here, but i very much want to visit the homeland and travel around and get to know pakistan again as it is many decades since i lived there - my first step has been done and that is to acquire and expired pakistani passport - my goal is to spend a few months a year in pakistan and most of the time be north and be trecking in the mountains - not any heavy duty mountain climbing but walking in some of the most beautiful and amazing places in the world - i look foreward to contacting you after your move to karachi
good luck and best regards
afzal

Hello Afzal,

Thanks for your post. I would love to come in contact with people who have moved to Pakistan after a long stay abroad and I mean long stay 30-40 years or who have moved to Pakistan from a western society, there I would find much in common to share.

Looking forward to contacting you when I move to Karachi.

Climb safe
Saied

hi saied thanks for your reply - actually i have been away 50 years but have visited about 5 times over the years - yes please send me an email or reply when you move to karachi - may i ask why karachi - i understand if you have family in karachi but if not i would be interested in the reasons for selecting karachi
regards, afzal

HOLA,yo soy mexicana a mi me gustaria ir a visitar a pakistan,y radicar en este paiS,

Hello, I am Mexican I'd like to visit pakistan, and filed in this country,

Hi,
Iam sorry I donŽt speak mexican.

Regards/Saied

hola soy pakistani vivo en españa desde 5 años,espero qe puedo ayudar a algo. cualquier cosa   qe nesecitas me escribes ,

Hi mar_azr!

As this is the anglophone forum could you please write in English?

Thanks
Armand