Neighborhoods

Hello All -

I'm on a search for a great neighborhood!  Heather from Cloggieintraining gave me some great info - but I'd love to hear more about where you chose to live and why you love it! 

We're rather simple, down to earth people - with 2 kids ages 6 and 9 - seeking green spaces to play, good schools to choose from close by where my kids who are English speaking can Go Dutch as much as they wish to absorb.  We will not own a car - so transportation will be important - and if we can bike to everything, even better.  Kid friendly space mostly interests us - library, coffee houses, parks and schools.

Schools - They all sound so varied - please, shout out your experiences! How do expat kids do at public Dutch schools? Any preferable to others?  If so, why so? 

We're prepared for small housing - not sure we're prepared for high rental rates.  Any tips on getting a reasonable rent?

So new that anything you share will be helpful.

Chloe

Hi,

I lived in Amsterdam - oud west- around the vondelpark...great area!
Lots of shops, dynamic neighborhood, bg park arond the corner etc etc....

Ciao

Reasonable rent is difficult in Amsterdam because you're subject to the 'free-market'.

Good districts are 'Oud Zuid', 'Oud West'. 'Oost' is also developing. These are the top locations and expect to pay high prices.

Hi Chloe,

Amsterdam is expensive with high rents. Do you want to go to Amsterdam or considering a alternative city? Many possibilities, but it depends on where you want (or have) to live for work/study/etc.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Greetings,

Klaas