Work in Belize?

As a possible expat to Belize that's NOT even close to retirement age (and seeming further every month with the proposed governmental changes) I was wondering about work, pay, shipping tools there, etc. I'm a 50 year old mechanic with extensive experience in electrical apparatus repair (electric motors and pumps, too) besides the standard mechanical experience like bearing work, gears, shafts etc. I don't require much money, just enough to get by and save some so that's really not an issue.
Is there work there for me?

I think good mechanics are always in need in Belize (there's a lot of really bad ones here).  Your problem will be going through the work permit process - can take months and you'll need reserves to live on while waiting for approval.  If you have at least 6 months of living expenses saved up, and the money for the work permit process, then I'd say go for it!

Sharon Hiebing

Is it the lack of parts and supplies that makes them seem bad or a lack of training? Often those that lack training don't know how to say "I don't know" or "I can't do that" and screw things up for the unsuspecting customer. The lack of parts and supplies can make it seem like that's the case when it's really the opposite.

Finally, do you have to be in country to start the work permit process?