Rent a flat or a house in Fiji

Finding a place to live is a priority when settling in Fiji. Your experience will be of a great help for the members who want to settle in Fiji.

Therefore, we have prepared some questions for you:

Which kinds of accommodation are available in Fiji?

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Fiji?

How to find a home in Fiji: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

Which advice would you give?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Dear all,

I am moving the latest week of August 2011 to Suva to commence my future employment over here. I will be accompanied by my small daughter. In order to settle as soon as possible for at least two years, we are looking for a modest, simple, fenced apartment with 2 - 3 bedrooms, kitchen, garden but no pool. Kindly contact me by e-mail: [email protected]. Advice on how to search appropriate housing such as described above are also warmly welcomed.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Lioba

Hi Lioba

My wife and I went through the same process a month ago when we relocated to Suva where I have taken up work with the USP. We found that what is listed on the real estate websites in not necessarily what is available and there are often more houses on the market. Many are 'flats' where a property is divided into 2 or 3 residences. We were looking, as it sounds you are' for a stand alone house with a garden. We managed to find one at a reasonable cost (fj$1000 month) but it was unfurnished so we spent a few dollars purchasing furniture. Mind you for a total of fj$3000 we basically furnished the essentials and that was with choosing our own fabrics!

I would suggest contacting a real estate agent as soon as you arrive and set aside some time to travel around with them to look at listings. This will also give you a feel for the suburbs you would like to live in. And always suggest a lower rent than they are quoting - especially if you are looking at longer term. We found the guys at Harcourts in Suva took good care of us even thought they did run out of petrol when driving us around!

Good luck and enjoy your move!
Marty

Hi Marty,

Thank you for your valuable advice. I am looking forward to visit various houses in order to get a feeling of what is available in the area.

Question: if you are making use of the services of real estate agents, don't you end up with looking at the more expensive houses rather than when you are dealing with private persons?

Friendly regards,

Lioba

Hi Lioba

I guess there is some risk of that, but we were very specific about our budget limitations with the agents. It is also difficult to get to locate private rentals when you first arrive, and then to travel around by taxi to view them. There are listing in the Fiji Times if you have time for this. Im not sure where you are going to be working but I am at the University of the South Pacific and the accomodation officer here may be able to help also (Ranjila Mudiliar). If you decide to contact Harcourts we found a young guy - Nathan - to be very helpful. And no I dont get a commission!

I just received an email from Ranjila re the following house as an example. Not sure if it is still available but the price is ok.
[i]Location :     150 Sawau Road, Bayview Heights, Nabua, Suva
Price :          $1,200
Top Flat Consists : 3 b/r including master b/r, Great view, Hot/Cold, A/c, Electronic gate, Modern open plan Kitchen with oven, stove and hange hood, large laundary area, Bath Tub, B/bars and alarm, Lots of parking space, very spacious.
Email:  [email protected]
[/i]

Good Luck and feel free to ask if you have any more questions re settling in.

Cheers
Marty

Settling in Fiji is not very difficult. If you are thinking of staying in the city, property prices will be bit high but as u will go further away, cost will reduce.
It is advisable that you should buy an investment property that can generate income for you. 
Houses range from $100k(FJD) and above.
Rentals can be as low as $50.00 high as $50,000

If you deal with a good real estate, your transition will be a breeze or else it can turn out to be a nightmare.
If you would like, i will be able to assist you. [advertisement is not welcome here]

viney kumar, advertisement is not welcome on the forum. You should register in the business directory

Rent for flat in fiji

Hi Riponbaral > any information about the subject? Thank you

my husband name is rama kotaiah, from India , GUNTUR. his qualification is Ph.D. in mechanical engineering. He was selected as a associate professor in Fiji national university with a salary of FJD 70600 per year. please let me know that how much he can save per month. please let me know the cost of living and Taxes also. please soon reply sir/mam.

House depends which one you choose.good house from $500-$1000 plus.cost of living is ok suite the salary you have. Iam not sure about the tax.

What are the rental terms like in regards to time - do you sign a lease for a minimum numbers of months?  I am considering a stay in Fiji of 2-3 months and curious where one look for that type of rental.

I just only need to rent a studio for 1 month or a room in Fiji.  I need something very reasonable.  I have no job.  I just need my life to think much clearer.  I believe just 1 month in Fiji is perfect!  If you have any information on rooms or apt studios for rent for 1 month please email me.
Thanks!

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum, you could use our private message system for that.

he is not doing anything wrong he helping people with information,he is not getting paid for his information,we he need to have rental business with his information,or you are dealing with property and dont want him to tell on this site prices fr rent,? any information are welcome on this site if you are property adviser,dont come on this site and investigate other with help,offer for new settlers in country as fiji,ok

I am presently living in Fiji, Central Coast.  I want to relocate to the Nadi area, would appreciate advice/help from ex- pats re cost, also the possibility of renting a room for short term.

Flat depends which one you choose .Good house from low cost of living is ok and no tax