Traveling to Peru


About to move to Peru? Find, in this article, all that you need to know about travel formalities and entry conditions.

Before traveling to Peru, it is best to inquire on all related conditions and formalities. Nationals of some countries may require a visa to make a short stay in the country while others do not. In general, conditions vary from one country to another and according to the duration of stay.

Indeed, French, Canadian, Swiss and Belgian nationals do not need a visa to make a short stay, that is a less than three months stay in the country. In all cases, you need a passport that has to be valid for at least six months following your scheduled return date.

Nationals of other countries, on the other hand, have to apply for a visa at the Peruvian immigration services. It applies to both long and short stays in Peru, regardless of their nationality.


There are different types of visas for Peru, including student visas, work visas, etc. Visas are generally classified into two main categories: temporary visas and resident visas.

Temporary visas apply to artists, temporary or non-resident workers in Peru (business trips, specified-term contracts), students, religious representatives (distinction made between Catholic and non-Catholic adherents), independent investors and workers, etc. Permanent visas, that is resident visas, apply to resident workers in Peru, independent investors and workers, individuals receiving income, residents' relatives (ascendants, minor descendents, handicapped children, spouses, etc).

Application conditions and requirements are rather specific. You can find more information on these in the article Visas for Peru.

Obtaining a TAM

Once you are in Peru, you have to request for an Andean Immigration Card, that is the Tarjeta Andina de Migración (TAM), regardless of the purpose of your stay. This card will be required when you leave the country. In case of loss during your stay, you are required to request for a duplicate at the General Direction of the Immigration and Naturalization Department (DIGEMIN).

At the same time, immigration officers will stamp your passport. In all cases, make sure to complete this formality on your arrival. Otherwise, you will be considered as an illegal migrant. You can even be repatriated and this can be quite long and complicated.

Request for extension

Once your visa has expired, you can still request for an extension at the immigration offices you can find in major cities, namely Lima, Arequipa, Cuzco, Iquitos, Puno and Puerto Maldonado. Fees apply.

 Useful links:

Migraciones – Immigration Department
Request for a TAM duplicate
Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Peruvian consulates in the world
Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Peruvian embassies in the world

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.
Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
Write a comment

See also

Want to become a digital nomad in Peru? The digital nomad's guide to Peru will help you make the most of your nomadic life abroad.
Relocating in Arequipa can have several advantages such as a lower cost of living, proximity to businesses, less traffic jam, etc.
Trujillo is deemed to be a modern tourist city. However, the local rental market provides affordable housing units for expatriates.
Lima is Peru's biggest city with some 8 million inhabitants. But with proper planning, finding accommodation there should not be difficult.
Foreign nationals are allowed to buy a property in Peru. However, conditions are rather strict due to some specific restrictions.