Wishing to live in the USA ? Find useful info in the expat guide
Free download
View all destinations Change destination

How to obtain a US Green Card


Here are some indications about the steps to follow to obtain a Green Card and be able to settle permanently in the United States.

Settling in the US seems to be the dream of millions of people around the globe. Obtaining a Green Card will allow you to live and work in the US permanently. This card will be a proof that the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has granted you the permanent resident card. You must bear it with you all the time.

A Green Card can be obtained in different ways. You can either be sponsored by a family member living in the US or by an employer. Permanent residency status can also be granted to refugees or an ayslees, or through some humanitarian program.


First of all, you have to determine your eligibility to apply for a Green Card. You will have to meet several requirements established by the US laws. You must check if you are eligible for one of the immigrant categories according to the Immigration and Nationality Act, if you are admissible to the US and if you already have an immigrant visa.

Note that you will be placed on a priority list if you are moving through a qualified family member, a job or any special category. There is a finite number of visas that apply each year for every category of expatriates. You will obtain more information on the official website of Homeland Security.

 Useful links:

US Citizenship and Immigration Services

Green Card based forms:


Immediate relatives do not have to wait for a visa to be available as there is no limit to this type of visa. Parents or spouses, as well as unmarried children below 21 years old, can apply for this visa. US citizens above 21 years old can also apply for a visa for their parents.

If you wish to move through a job offer, you may apply for permanent residency or for immigrant visa abroad. You will be notified if you belong to the category of priority workers, including professors, researchers, multinational executives and managers, if you hold an advance degree, or if you are a skilled worker, a professional or qualified worker.


You must satisfy the immigration and consular officers’ criteria to be admissible in the US and to be able to obtain an immigrant visa. Some of the reasons leading to inadmissibility could be health-related, criminal, or security-related issues.

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.
Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
Write a comment

See also

You will need a work visa to be able to work in the United States. You can chose among different types of visa according to your profession.
The article offers relevant tips to those who wish to live and work in the U.S.
You will need a working visa to be able to find a job or to follow a training program. If you are a skilled worker, you will need the H1-B visa while for an internship you have to apply for a J-1 visa.

Would you like to live in the USA?

Find useful information in our expatriate guide.

Expatriate health insurance in the USA

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the USA

Moving to the USA

Find tips from professionals about moving to the USA

Travel insurance in the USA

Enjoy stress-free travel to the USA