Wishing to live in the USA ? Find useful info in the expat guide
Free download
View all destinations Change destination

Work and train in Chicago


If you want to work or have an internship in Chicago, here is some information that should help you.

If you are an expat looking for a job in Chicago, you must be in possession of a work permit. You must first determine which category of workers you belong to and make a request to the U.S. Embassy in your area. The procedures can be relatively long. For more information on this topic, please visit the following link:

Work Visas

If your profession forms part of the category of temporary workers with a specialty, you will need a H1-B visa. This type of visa is particularly applicable to accountants, computer analysts, engineers and lawyers. You will be eligible if you have a degree and professional experience in the fields concerned.

To live and work in Chicago for a specific period, you will need an H-2B visa. Visitors receive a visa only if the skills required for this job are not available locally. The visa type H-3 applies to those seeking professional training in Chicago. This involves training on employment over a defined period.

If you do not fit in any of these categories, you will need a D-1 visa. This mainly applies to those wishing to do an internship in the United States. To work in Chicago with the J-1 visa, you must have a diploma or at least one year experience.

You will have more information about this on the following link:

Find a job

Only a few companies recruit foreigners due to existing regulations for immigration, especially in terms of visa and wages. You are advised to apply for jobs through the "Visa Sponsor". To find a job in Chicago, you can visit job websites or contact a recruitment agency. Update your resume and write a cover letter emphasizing your strengths and skills in the field of employment sought.

Here are some links that might help you:

True Careers


Career Builder

Chicago Jobs

Jobs in Chicago

Chicago Job resource

Hiring agencies take care of all the formalities against costs. Here are some examples:



Internship in Chicago

To do an internship in Chicago, you'll need D-1 visa. This will allow you to do an internship for a period of less than 18 months. Note that the training must be related to your profession or field of study. You must subsequently find a company that wants to take you on probation. You must be aged between 18 and 38 years old and fluent in English. You must also have sufficient funds to cater for your need during your internship in Chicago.

Here are some links that you may find useful:

Internship Programs

Intern Zoo

Intern Web


Intern Jobs

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.
Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
Write a comment

See also

How can I create a business in the United States? Can I get some help to open my business in the U.S? Is it possible to work freelance in the United States?
You will need a working visa to be able to find a job or to follow a training program. If you are a skilled worker, you will need the H1-B visa while for an internship you have to apply for a J-1 visa.
To do an internship in California, you need a sponsor which will fill out the necessary procedures regarding the visa requirements. You can go through a recruitment agency or search on the Internet.

Would you like to live in the USA?

Find useful information in our expatriate guide.

Expatriate health insurance in the USA

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the USA

Moving to the USA

Find tips from professionals about moving to the USA

Travel insurance in the USA

Enjoy stress-free travel to the USA