Wishing to live in the USA ? Find useful info in the expat guide
Free download
View all destinations Change destination

Discovering the United States of America


If you wish to move to the United States of America, here is some general information on the country.

The United States of America is a federal democratic republic. Stretching over an area of 9,631,417 km2, it is the fourth largest country in the world. The USA has fifty states, including California, North Carolina and South Carolina, Michigan, Colorado, New York, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Maryland or Alaska. The capital of United States is Washington.

The United States has many rivers, among which the Missouri, the Mississippi, Yukon, Colorado, Rio Grande, as well as lakes such as the Lake Superior, Lake Huron, Lake Michigan, Lake Ontario. The country is known to be the second largest economy after the European Union, with California being its richest state. The U.S. economy is considered as capitalist, with a high GDP during the last few years in comparison with other economies.


Given its position in a rather temperate zone, the United States is experiencing different types of climate changes. Individual states often experience extreme weather conditions such as hurricanes, extreme heats, tornadoes and floods. The “El Niño” phenomenon causes precipitation and winter storms. Temperature can reach up to 32 °C in summer.


The population of the US amounts to over 315 million people. The immigration rate in the country is increasing over the years. The American society enjoys then a great ethnic and cultural diversity. There is no official language in the United States but thirty states have voted for English as the official language. Some of them are bilingual. Island states use English and one or two indigenous languages.


Each year, nearly 800,000 people settle in the United States. The immigration rate is much higher than in other countries. Many people choose to study there, to work permanently or temporarily. Most of the expats in the United States are from Mexico, China, India or Latin America. According to official sources, immigration represents 40% of population growth.

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.
Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
Write a comment

See also

You will need a working visa to be able to find a job or to follow a training program. If you are a skilled worker, you will need the H1-B visa while for an internship you have to apply for a J-1 visa.

Would you like to live in the USA?

Find useful information in our expatriate guide.

Expatriate health insurance in the USA

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the USA

Moving to the USA

Find tips from professionals about moving to the USA

Travel insurance in the USA

Enjoy stress-free travel to the USA