Wishing to live in the USA ? Find useful info in the expat guide
Free download
View all destinations Change destination

Setting a business in the USA


Setting up a company in the United States or investing in the country is not a very difficult matter for those who are well prepared. One of the first thing to do is to conduct marketing or feasibility studies, define the structure of the company (Corporation, Limited Liability Company, Partnership, Sole Proprietorship), register the trade mark and register the company in the local trade register. Do not hesitate to seek help from an accountant or tax lawyer if necessary.  Bear in mind that formalities and legal procedures may vary from one state to another.

There is no real specific visa for self-employed people in the U.S. If you intend to work freelance or as a self-employed person in the U.S., first apply for a work visa sponsored by a local employer in order to be legally authorized to work in the country before applying for a green card and create your own job. Note however that obtaining a green card is time consuming and very lengthy.

It is highly advised to contact the chamber of commerce or the economic mission of your country established in the U.S. in order to get assistance or additional information about the legal procedures in the country. 

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.
Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
Write a comment

See also

You will need a working visa to be able to find a job or to follow a training program. If you are a skilled worker, you will need the H1-B visa while for an internship you have to apply for a J-1 visa.
To find a job in Chicago, you need to apply for a work visa, that is the H1-B type visa. Different types of visas apply to different categories of workers. You need to determine to which category you belong before making an application.
To do an internship in California, you need a sponsor which will fill out the necessary procedures regarding the visa requirements. You can go through a recruitment agency or search on the Internet.

Would you like to live in the USA?

Find useful information in our expatriate guide.

Expatriate health insurance in the USA

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the USA

Moving to the USA

Find tips from professionals about moving to the USA

Travel insurance in the USA

Enjoy stress-free travel to the USA