Wishing to live in the USA ? Find useful info in the expat guide
Free download
View all destinations Change destination

The labor market in the USA


The labor market in the United States is not as open as it used to be in the past due to the economical and financial crisis. Some economic sectors however are still offering many job opportunities like in IT, new technologies, engineering, cooking or hairdressing. The current crisis is nonetheless an impediment to the hiring of low-skilled foreigners. Skills in English should not be underestimated if one wishes to build a career in the U.S. 

There is a minimum wage in the United States of about $7 an hour. There is no legal working time per se in the country but 40 hours weekly is the average and employees are generally granted one or two weeks paid holidays per year, sometimes more according to the seniority within a company. 

Some employers in the U.S. are offering relatively unattractive wages but sometimes provide their employees with health insurance packages including dental coverage, which is a real opportunity for many employees who cannot necessarily afford to purchase one. 

For more information about the labor market in the U.S., salary scales or official statistics, visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics at

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.
Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
Write a comment

See also

How can I create a business in the United States? Can I get some help to open my business in the U.S? Is it possible to work freelance in the United States?
You will need a working visa to be able to find a job or to follow a training program. If you are a skilled worker, you will need the H1-B visa while for an internship you have to apply for a J-1 visa.
To find a job in Chicago, you need to apply for a work visa, that is the H1-B type visa. Different types of visas apply to different categories of workers. You need to determine to which category you belong before making an application.
To do an internship in California, you need a sponsor which will fill out the necessary procedures regarding the visa requirements. You can go through a recruitment agency or search on the Internet.

Would you like to live in the USA?

Find useful information in our expatriate guide.

Expatriate health insurance in the USA

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the USA

Moving to the USA

Find tips from professionals about moving to the USA

Travel insurance in the USA

Enjoy stress-free travel to the USA