Wishing to live in the USA ? Find useful info in the expat guide
Free download
View all destinations Change destination

Traveling to the USA


If you are traveling to the United States for a stay up to 90 days, you must be in possession of an electronic passport valid at least 9 months after date of arrival. Most foreign nationals must be in possession of a tourist visa.

Visa exemption applies for nationals from 35 countries (including EU countries) who just need to apply online for an Electronic Travel Authorization (ESTA) 72 hours before departure (at the latest). Once the application form completed and submitted online, a response will be generated by the system almost instantly. If authorization is refused, a visa application should be filed to the nearest American consulate or embassy. If the answer is pending, a final response should be sent within 72 hours. Any applicant can monitor the progress of his file on the ESTA website. Fees may apply.

Visa exemption applies for citizens from: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, South Korea, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Netherlands, Portugal, Republic of Malta, Czech Republic, United Kingdom, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden and Switzerland. 

If you’re not a citizen from one of the countries listed above, visit the embassy or consulate of the United States in your home country and apply for a tourist visa.

Before arrival in the United States, the airline will provide you with a form to complete (Form I-94, white for holders of temporary visas and green for nationals exempt from visa requirements). Upon arrival at the U.S. customs, the immigration officer will collect your form, detach the coupon and attach it in your passport. When entering the U.S., you have to submit your fingerprints and have your picture digitalized by the immigration services. If you refuse, you will not be allowed to enter the country.


Do not forget to have your coupon removed from your passport before leaving the United States territory. If the coupon has not been removed, you must send it with an explanation letter to: 
ACS Inc. 
1084 South Laurel Rd, 
London, Kentucky 40744 

  Useful links: 


U.S. Customs

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.
Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
2 years ago

Very nice helpful article!

4 years ago

The information is very helpful. Thank you!


See also

To get married in the United States, you must generally above 18 years old. If you are moving to the United States, you must apply for a marriage license and obtain wedding certificate within 90 days after the date of issue. You will also need a fiancée visa.

Would you like to live in the USA?

Find useful information in our expatriate guide.

Expatriate health insurance in the USA

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the USA

Moving to the USA

Find tips from professionals about moving to the USA

Travel insurance in the USA

Enjoy stress-free travel to the USA