Follow all our news on Facebook!

Visas for Sweden


Do you need a visa to travel to Sweden? If so, what are the relating conditions and procedures? Find out in this article.

Before moving to a foreign country, it is best to inquire on related conditions and formalities. So if you are planning to move to Sweden, you should know beforehand whether or not you will need a visa. In fact, nationals of some countries are exempt from the visa requirement while others require a visa to travel there, regardless of the length and purpose of their stay.


Sweden has set up a list of nationals requiring a visa to travel there (within the Schengen area). Find a list of these countries here:

However, you do not require a visa to make a less than 90 days stay in Sweden if you live within the Schengen space. On your arrival at the Swedish borders, you simply have to produce your passport or identity card. However, both documents should be valid.

If you intend to make a more than 90 days stay in the country, you will have to request for a resident card. Application can be made at the Migrationsverket, that is the National Immigrations Office.


Foreign nationals who intend to travel to Sweden can choose from different types of visas, namely the family visit visa, the business visa, the sports or cultural activities visa, the private visa and the tourist visa.

When applying for a visa for Sweden, you are required to produce all required documents personally at the nearest Swedish embassy or consulate to your place of residence. You can find a list of these embassies and consulates on the Sweden Abroad website. Note that these shall not be send by post mail, e-mail or fax.

Moreover, required documents have to be translated into English. You therefore have to produce the following documents:

  • a duly filled and signed Schengen visa form. This form should be filled for minors traveling alone or in the company of an adult
  • your passport (which should be valid for at least three months following your departure from the Schengen area and have at least two blank pages)
  • photocopies of your passport's first pages, as well as former Schengen and other visa stamps
  • an identity photo (taken from the front at least six months beforehand, 3.5 cm x 4 cm)
  • an individual health insurance providing coverage for emergency health care and repatriation for medical reasons
  • sufficient funds for the whole duration of your stay in Sweden (a minimum of 450 SEK, that is around 50 euros) per day and per person. You may have to pay less if you have already settled your accommodation fees in advance or if you are staying at a friend's or relative's place.
  • your bank statements or six latest payslips. If you have been invited to Sweden, your host will have to produce proof of sufficient funds to support you during your stay.

Other documents

In the case of foreign nationals who do not come from the Schengen area, they will be requested by the embassy to produce additional documents during application. Find a list of these documents on the Sweden Abroad website

 Useful links: – Visas for Sweden Forum 
Sweden Abroad – List of Swedish embassies abroad
Swedish embassy in the UK – Visas
Swedish embassy in the USA – Visa application

Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
Write a comment

See also

Located in the South end of Sweden, Malmö is the country's third biggest city. Many expatriates have been seeking career prospects in the region.
Located in the North of Stockholm, Uppsala is very popular with expatriates by providing professional opportunities in various fields.
Located in the South end of Sweden, comprising 33 municipalities, Skane is very welcoming towards expatriates looking for career prospects.
Gothenburg, the second biggest Swedish city, provides many career prospects for expatriates, especially in the fields of high technologies.
Stockholm, the Swedish capital city, attracts many expatriates who are looking forward to work in the country. Opportunities are available in many fields.

Expatriate health insurance in Sweden

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Sweden

Moving to Sweden

Find tips from professionals about moving to Sweden

Travel insurance in Sweden

Enjoy stress-free travel to Sweden

Flights to Sweden

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Sweden