Follow all our news on Facebook!

Getting married in Spain


Foreigners wishing to get married in Spain have to fill in some formalities to be able to do so. Find out more in this article.

If you have met your soul mate in Spain, you may wish to get married there. This should not be complicated as expatriates are allowed to marry in the country. However, specific conditions apply. It is wise to inquire with the Spanish embassy or consulate in your home country before proceeding. Moreover, you will have to request or produce some specific document to your home country's competent authorities before getting married in Spain. You are thus advised to seek all relating information beforehand. 

Above all, either of the partners has to be a Spanish resident, registered with the nearest municipality to their home. Both should also be at least 18 years old.

 Good to know:

Gay marriage is authorized in Spain since 2005.


First of all, you have to contact the Registro Civil, that is the nearest civil status office to your place of residence in Spain. If either of the future spouses is of Spanish origin, you are required to produce the following documents:

  • your passport or identity card
  • a copy of your birth certificate
  • a “empadronamiento” certificate stating your place of residence for the last two years (it can be obtained at the nearest municipality)
  • in the case of a divorcee: copies of your first marriage and divorce certificates
  • in the case of a widower or a widow: a copy of your first marriage certificate and of your late spouse's death certificate
  • a no objection certificate issued by the nearest consulate to your place of residence in Spain and in your home country
  • fees applied (some 148 euros).

Note that these documents must be apostilled in your home country and translated into Spanish by a sworn translator.


In some cases, non-residents are also entitled to religious marriage in the country. However, the marriage's flexibility is restricted.

Celebrating your wedding

Once you have obtained all required certificates, you can proceed with your wedding celebration at the Civil Status Office. Two witnesses will have to sign the marriage register. You will obtain your marriage certificate within 30 to 120 days if your application has been accepted by Spanish authorities. You may as well get married at the town hall or district court if you wish. The date will be agreed by the mayor or district court judge.

In general, district court or town hall weddings are free of charge. If you prefer to marry in church, a donation of around 300 euros is recommended. Note that church marriages do not require court formalities. However, you will need a baptismal certificate which has been issued at least six months before the wedding.

 Good to know:

Proxy marriage is also possible in case one of the spouses is unable to move to Spain (in case of disability, illness or hospitalization). The proxy marriage document, containing all relevant information to the couple, has to be signed by a public notary.

Once you have celebrated your wedding, you will have to register it with the Civil Status Office where you will also receive a family planning booklet, that is the “Libro de Familia”. You also have to notify your home country's embassy or consulate in Spain.

If you have more queries about getting married in Spain, feel free to ask your questions on the Spain forum

 Useful links:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Mariage application form
US Consultate in Barcelona - Mariage proceedings

Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
2 years ago

hiya, what about marrying a non eu citizen and me myself are not a holder of a spanish passport but am living in spain?

2 years ago

hi can you help about Getting married in Spain?


See also

Citizens of European Union countries do not require a visa to travel to Spain. A valid identity card or passport is enough. What about other nationalities?
Barcelona, Catalonia's economic center, attracts not only young professionals but also many foreign companies and investors looking for new opportunities.
Madrid's labor market has been facing a shortage of qualified and skilled workforce since some time. Hence, it is open to young foreign professionals.
Malaga has been one of the most affected Spanish cities by the global economic crisis. Hence its high unemployment rate during recent years.
Sevilla's economy is recovering gradually after having been seriously affected by the global economic crisis. Unemployment rate has also been in decline.

Expatriate health insurance in Spain

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Spain

Moving to Spain

Find tips from professionals about moving to Spain

Travel insurance in Spain

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Spain

Flights to Spain

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Spain