Traveling to Spain with your pet


Are you wondering how to travel to Spain with your pet? Find out how to proceed in this article.

Moving to a foreign country with your pet requires proper planning. If you wish to travel to Spain, regardless of the length of your trip, it is best to inquire on pet importation conditions beforehand. In general, only dogs, cats and ferrets are considered as pets in Spain. Other specific regulations apply to the import of birds and other animals. You might have more information on it with your carrier and the Spanish Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Environment. You may also ask your questions on the Spain forum


Like in most European countries, your pet should meet the local authorities’ requirements to be allowed on the Spanish territory. First of all, your pet, whether a dog, cat or ferret, must be at least three months old. It must also be vaccinated against rabies and undergo a blood test in order to verify the vaccine's effectiveness.

Your pet must also be in possession of a passport and a health certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian. The health certificate must not only mention your pet's basic information such as its name, race, age, color, etc., but also your name, address and telephone number. Note that documents to be produced on your arrival in Spain must be accompanied by a Spanish translation.

Your pet must also be fitted with an electronic microchip that is compliant with ISO 11784/11785 norms. In case the microchip is not compliant with these norms, you pet must be accompanied by its own microchip reader. Note that identification tattoos made prior to July 3rd, 2011, are also acceptable provided these are clearly visible. In this case, your pet must be vaccinated against rabies after being tattooed. 

 Good to know:

Your pet is not authorized to travel within 21 days following the rabies vaccination.


Import regulations may vary from one country to another. You are advised to inquire with the Spanish embassy or consulate in your home country or the Spanish ministry of Agriculture before proceeding. An Annex IV may also be requested. This document can be issued by your pet's veterinary.

Other species

If you are planning to import other species such as birds from non-European countries, you will have to comply with specific regulations which have been established by Spanish authorities. Your bird should have a veterinary certificate and an official owner statement. Those coming from European Union countries must be accompanied by a veterinary certificate having been issued within 10 days before the scheduled arrival date in Spain. This also applies to other animal species. However, that backyard birds are not allowed to enter Spain as pets. You will also have to obtain a health document for them from the Spanish Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Environment

Furthermore, the number of pets which can accompany you varies depending on the species and country of origin.


Rare or endangered species are prohibited from entering as pets in Spain.


Your pet must be transported in an appropriate cage both aboard your carrier and once you have reached Spain.

Dogs are compelled to wear the muzzle in some parts of the country.

In general, pets are prohibited in public buildings and restaurants.

It is recommended that you have the nearest licensed veterinarian's phone number in case of emergency.

If your pet is less than three months old, some restrictions may apply. It can also be quarantined if its shows signs of illness or poor health. 

 Useful links:

Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Environment - Animal health standards
Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Environment - Specific conditions for different species

Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
Write a comment

See also

Tourists and expatriates wishing to travel to Spain are advised to inquire on authorized and banned products beforehand. Some may be imported duty free.
Moving to Spain with your children requires good planning. If they are less than 3 years old, you will have to register them with a child care center.
We loved it, said that one day we would come and live here, we came on holiday here nearly every year for the next 10 years, then we moved here permanently, that was 18 years ago and have never regretted one minute of it.
Barcelona, Catalonia's economic center, attracts not only young professionals but also many foreign companies and investors looking for new opportunities.
Madrid's labor market has been facing a shortage of qualified and skilled workforce since some time. Hence, it is open to young foreign professionals.

Expatriate health insurance in Spain

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Spain

Moving to Spain

Find tips from professionals about moving to Spain

Travel insurance in Spain

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Spain

Flights to Spain

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Spain