Traveling to Poland


Poland is a member of the Schengen space. Find out, in this article, what are the conditions to be met to travel there.

Located in the heart of Europe, Poland is a very welcoming country towards expatriates. But if you intend to move there, it is best to inquire on relating formalities beforehand. European Union and Swiss nationals do not require a visa to travel to Poland, unlike non-European nationals. Indeed, they simply have to produce a valid passport or identity card to be allowed to make a maximum of three months stay in the country.

Beyond this period, they will have to register with Pole authorities. Note that this condition also applies to minors.


There are three main types of visas for Poland:

  • the A visa – for airport transit
  • the C visa – Schengen visa
  • the D visa – for long stays.

Please read the article Visas for Poland for more information on the different types of visas and conditions applied.

Non-European nationals are required to justify the purpose of their stay in Poland and produce accommodation support documents. Moreover, they have to prove that they have sufficient funds to support themselves throughout their stay in the country until their departure from Poland. In this case, recent bank statements and valid return tickets will be needed.


Upon your arrival in Poland, you are required to register at the nearest voïvodie, that is the municipal or regional office, to your place of residence. More than 18 years old people can either call there personally or be represented by a proxy who should be in possession of a notarized authorization letter.

In general, the following documents have to be produced:

  • 4 duly filled and signed application forms
  • valid identity documents (passport or identity card)
  • proof of registration (obtained from the nearest municipality to your place of residence in Poland)
  • proof of insurance subscription (European health card for European nationals)
  • proof of sufficient funds (your three latest bank statements, as a precautionary measure)
  • your work contract or employment letter
  • proof of enrollment in a local school or higher education institution
  • a family booklet with official translation for each family member accompanying you (spouse and children).

 Good to know:

You will be eligible to a permanent resident permit once you have made a 5 years continuous stay in the country.

 Useful links:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Traveling to Poland
UK Embassy in Poland – Entry Requirements
US Embassy in Poland

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.
Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
Write a comment

See also

Want to become a digital nomad in Poland? The digital nomad's guide to Poland will help you make the most of your nomadic life abroad.
Poland hosts several nationals and international banks where foreigners are allowed to open a bank account without any difficulty.
All residents in Poland, including expatriates, are required to pay income tax, as well as other types of taxes such as value added tax (VAT), etc.
Krakow is one of the major Pole cities, thus attracting expatriates in large number every year and providing a range of accommodation options.