Updated 2 years ago

If you are looking forward to study in Poland, here is some useful information on the country's higher education system.

Moving to Poland is the dream of many expatriates worldwide. While some are working in the country, others have chosen to pursue their higher studies there, especially due to its level of education and the recognition of its diplomas throughout Europe and elsewhere. So if you also wish to study in Poland, take the time to inquire on its higher education system and on enrollment conditions and formalities beforehand.

Higher education system

Poland hosts some 500 higher education institutions, including many public universities. There are two types of higher education institutions in the country: academic institutions (universities, polytechnic universities, academies) and vocational institutions. The Pole higher education system is greatly developed, providing quality education in a professional framework.

To date, more than 5,000 courses are offered in Poland. Courses are provided over three rounds and two degrees. In general, the undergraduate courses last for three to four years are are intended for baccalaureate holders. Note that students must have obtained 180 credits (ECTS) to pass this level. An internship is also included in this program.

The graduate courses, for their part, last for one and a half to two years. At the end of these courses, you will be entitled to a Masters degree or its equivalent. Students are expected to receive at least 90 credits (ECTS) and a new internship is involved.

Finally, post graduate courses, which are equal to a doctorate, generally last for three to four years. One completing these courses, you will be entitled to a scientific Doctor's degree. However, you must have successfully completed your graduate courses beforehand.

 Good to know:

Studying in Poland has several advantages, especially in terms of fees which are more affordable compared to many other major European cities.


To enrollment for higher studies in Poland, the following conditions have to be met:

  • you must be legally present in the country (with a resident permit, as a refugee, with temporary or subsidiary protection, as a migrant worker, a European Union or European Economic Area national, with a European resident card)
  • you must comply with international agreements between higher education institutions and foreign institutions or be concerned by higher education ministerial or directional decisions
  • you must have the required language skills to be accepted in the chosen study program
  • you must have a secondary or university diploma, depending on the courses for which you have enrolled.

Other conditions may apply to arts or sports studies.

Registration and fees

Regardless of the university, school or academy you have chosen, you will have to produce a school leaving certificate or a diploma (such as the baccalaureate) during enrollment procedures. You also have to produce all other diplomas obtained during your post secondary education (your degree, for instance), five copies of your valid identity card or passport, internship or labor certificates and a personal cover letter. Other documents may also be requested, depending on the university. So make sure to inquire with the university beforehand.

Fees apply as follows:

  • some 2,000 euros per year in the case of undergraduate or graduate long term courses
  • around 3,000 euros per year in the case of post graduate or doctorate courses, medical internships, arts and research, specialization courses and post graduate internships
  • around 2,000 euros per year in the case of language courses, including Polish.

If you have enrolled in a private university or higher education institution, you will need an average of 2,000 to 6,000 euros per year. These can even reach up to 8,000 to 12,000 euros per year in the case of MBA programs.

Student life

In general, foreign students are entitled to annual Polish language courses in public universities. They can also apply for scholarships, provided they fill in the criteria established by the Pole government. On the other hand, Polish language classes are not always provided by private universities. However, you shall not have any difficulty in communicating with the Pole as most of them speak English.

 Good to know:

Once you have enrolled in your higher education institution, you will be entitled to a student card which will grant you access to several facilities such as libraries, discounts on public transport fares and cultural events, etc.

 Useful links:

Go Poland! – Ministry of Science and Higher Education www.go-poland.pl
Study in Poland www.studyinpoland.pl
European University Directory – Poland www.university-directory.eu

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.