Work in Italy


If you have arrived in Italy with or without a job offer, you might probably be wondering how to deal with related procedures. Here are some guidelines regarding working in Italy.

As in most European countries, you will enjoy free movement and same labor rights as Italian citizens if you are a European Union citizen. But you are required to be in possession of a valid identity card during the first three months following your arrival in the country. Afterwards, you will have to register with the public security office to in order to appear on the population census register.

But conditions are different for non-European citizens. Note that migrant workers are controlled by local authorities. You will thus have to obtain either a seasonal work permit, an independent work permit or a subordinate work permit. You will then have to comply with local legal prerequisites. You must also have an entry authorization issued by your home country's Italian Embassy or Consulate.

Students and interns

Foreign students and interns, on the other hand, are authorized to work in Italy provided they have a residence permit. The request has to be made at the nearest police headquarters to their place of residence.

Seasonal workers

Seasonal workers can work in Italy for an indefinite period. Their work permit can also be converted. However, they must prove that they have obtained a seasonal worker's permit the preceding year and that they have respected all related conditions, that is going back to their home country once their permit has expired.

Arriving in Italy without a job offer

If you have arrived in Italy without a job offer, you can still stay legally in the country. In fact, citizens of non-European countries will require a job seeker's resident permit. You are eligible to this kind of permit if you have not yet signed a labor contract. You will then receive a "libretto di lavoro", that is a labor book. This document contains instructions so as to help you open a bank account in Italy, to register with the Italian Labor Center, ''ufficio del collomento'', etc.

You will also have to register with the tax office. You will receive your tax number on producing this document. Note that you will need two recent passport-size identity photos as well as a valid identity card or passport.

Curriculum Vitae

In general, your Curriculum Vitae should contain basic information about you, such as your name and address, your marital status, education level and qualifications, work experience, spoken and written languages, etc. You also have to mention the following at the end of the CV: ''it autorizzo dei miei dati personali trattamento sensi della legge have 675/96" which means that you are authorizing the processing of your personal data according to law 675/96. Remember to verify the equivalence of your diplomas.

Cover letter

Most Italian companies do not have a Human Resource Manager. You shall address your cover letter to the related department's director (logistics, financial, commercial, etc.) You are also required to send a printed version of your cover letter.


In Italy, interviews generally take place during several meetings. The aim is to determine if the candidate is ideal for the offer in terms of positiveness, punctuality, honesty, qualifications and competencies. You also have to be prepared to answer to personal and team spirit questions. Moreover, small companies generally prefer to hire qualified foreigners. Thus, you are required to have a good command of the Italian language and to inquire on the company before attending the interview. You are advised to remain humble and relaxed during the interview.


Income tax is deducted at source in Italy. If you receive high wages, you are likely to pay a 43% income tax rate. Basic salaries are subject to a 23% income tax (see the article Income tax in Italy).

Social insurance

Workers are also eligible to the social insurance scheme which covers cases of unemployment, maternity, diseases and accidents. You have to register with your region's Local Azianda Sanitaria, that is the Local Health Agency. Documents to be produced are:

  • a valid identity card or passport
  • your tax code
  • your residence certificate if applicable (or a draft document called ''tagliando'')
  • your civil status known as the "Stato di famiglia" issued by your current municipality
  • a request for choosing your doctor.


If you are a European Union citizen, you can require a retirement pension as per existing agreements between Italy and your home country if you wish to go back. But non-European citizens have to inquire on related conditions with their respective embassies or consulates.

 Useful links:

Ministry of Employment and Social Affairs
Tax Agency
Equivalence of Diplomas
Employment policy

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.
Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
Write a comment

See also

Want to become a digital nomad in Italy? The digital nomad's guide to Italy will help you make the most of your nomadic life abroad.
Finding a temporary job in Rome can be quite easy, according to the kind of job you are looking for. Permanent jobs, on the other hand, are rather rare.
Turin is one of the most important Italian cities, also known to be the country's economic center. Its economy focuses mainly on tourism, agro-industry...
Milan is known to be Italy's economic center, being not only a trade point, but also a financial, industrial and educational region.
Florence is one of the most popular Italian expat destinations. With a rich historical heritage, it also offers various professional opportunities.