Updated 2 years ago

Looking forward to study in the Czech Republic? Find all that you need to know about relating conditions and procedures in this article.

The Czech Republic is one of the key destinations for expatriation in Central Europe. Thanks to its developed higher education system, it has been attracting foreign students in large numbers since many years. Indeed, its universities provide courses in several fields, ranging from arts and culture, law, medical studies, architecture, design and economy, among many others.

Among its prestigious universities, the Charles University of Prague is the oldest and most popular one. You also have the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague, the School of Technology, the Masaryk University, the Silesian University and the Higher School of Economics, etc. You will find several other universities and vocational institutions across the country.

 Good to know:

Czech universities generally enroll foreign students for short terms such as exchange programs or degree, masters and PhD courses.

Universities and vocational institutions

The country hosts not less than 39 higher education institutions, including non-university schools and multidisciplinary universities. Upon enrollment, students have to choose between a degree and a Masters. Both academic and professional diplomas are delivered.

High vocational schools, for their part, provide courses over two and three and a half years. There are 164 such paid schools in the country. You can choose from these if you wish to obtain advanced vocational qualifications. Indeed, various disciplines and taught and provide school diplomas known as specialist degree (Dis).

 Good to know:

The academic year begins in September and October and is divided into two semesters consisting of 15 weeks each. Each academic year ends with a diploma thesis and State examinations.


If you have a good command of Czech, you can be considered as a Czech student and therefore you will not have to pay tuition fees. However, you must have passed the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) assessment.

If you wish to study in another language, such as English, tuition fees will apply. However, these conditions only apply to public universities. Private universities, on the other hand, apply universal fees both for local and foreign students.

To enroll in a university or higher vocational institution, you must have completed high school and have obtained either a general or a vocational baccalaureate, or its equivalent. Candidates wishing to enroll in a school of fine arts have to produce a diploma from the conservatory. However, these exceptionally accept students who have not yet completed their secondary education.


Each university and higher education institution has its own admission criteria. In general, candidates have to pass tests in specific subjects. These should determine whether the candidate is eligible to enroll for the chosen courses. In case they have been admitted, an admission letter will be issued. The candidate can then proceed with administrative formalities on the specified date. Upon completing relating formalities, the candidate will then be considered as a student and will enjoy some benefits.

 Good to know:

Make sure to seek all relevant information with the chosen university as some of these may apply additional conditions.

 Useful links:

Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports – Higher education www.msmt.cz
DZS – Center for International Cooperation www.dzs.cz
Study in the Czech Republic www.studyin.cz
Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR) www.coe.int

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.