Updated 3 years ago

I am writing this guide to assist people understand how a work VISA is done.

If you are like me, which was invited by your company to move to PR, you will have to pass through some process to get a L Visa type which will grant you the right to work in PR, the same way as any other State in USA.

This is a temporary non-immigrant VISA which will have an expiration time of 2-3 years, depending of the authorities, and can be renew (do a new one) up to a maximum of 7 years.

You company must be qualified to sponsor you when request this VISA, and you need to be an executive or a manager on this company and have worked there for at least 3 years. You can apply for permanent (resident) VISA after 1 year, but you will need your company assistance to sponsor you on this as well.

Your VISA type will be L1 and you may request VISAS (L2 type) for you wife/husband and children below 21 years old, which will also allow them to work and stay with you  until the same expiration date as yours. Pay attention if you VISA grant you multiple entries in US territory (look for Entries = M)

Your company will probably need to hire a Law company to do all the process for your VISA. It usually takes about 45 days to get this complete and have your passport back with it.

On the Customs, when presenting your passport, you can say in a confident way your are coming for work! They may ask you what is your role/position, what do you do and etc. Bring all the documents that belongs to your process with you in case they have further questions!

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.