Belize can be an ideal destination to pursue your higher education. The ecological, anthropological, and archaeological richness here is hard to match. The country offers various opportunities for studies. Indeed, studying in Belize provides many benefits. The country's biological, cultural, and historical wealth is only the beginning. The subtropical climate, beautiful mountains and rivers, friendly people, and sandy beaches are an important bonus!
Although Belize has only three universities, they offer high-level study programs. You can enrol for courses in various fields and receive numerous different degrees, including an MD. The three schools are University of Belize, Galen College, and Central America Health Sciences University, Belize Medical College. You will have to follow a series of procedures and fill in some special requirements for foreign students in Belize.
Study abroad programs in Belize
There is a number of study abroad programs in Belize. Students from all over the world come in both structured programs and unstructured independent study programs to explore the unique educational offerings of Belize for a semester or year. For watershed ecology and biodiversity studies, it is hard to imagine a better place to study. From mountains to tropical jungle to savannah to mangrove swamp to barrier reef, Belize is one of the most biologically diverse countries on earth, particularly for its size.
Requirements for international students
Though documentation requirements vary from school to school, in general, foreign students wishing to pursue their studies in Belize are required to produce:
- Documents or test results proving their English skills if they do not come from an officially English-speaking country
- Certificates, diplomas, and transcripts in English - these must be evaluated by an international evaluation agency
- Proof of sufficient funds to support themselves during their stay in Belize (an official bank letter will be required)
Good to know:
The University of Belize will help you get a student visa on your arrival in the country. However, other travel procedures will be your responsibility.
Students with Permanent Resident status will pay local tuition rates.
General admission requirements
Again, requirements vary among the institutions, and obviously, you will need additional documentation for the medical school, but generally, to register you must provide the following documents:
- A duly completed and signed application form
- Fees of between BZD30-120
- Two reference letters attesting to your academic skills and personal character
- Transcripts from all secondary and post-secondary institutions attended
- Copy of standardised test results
- Copy of academic diplomas or relevant certificates
- Admissions essay
- Proof of citizenship and identity such as a passport (also permanent residency status, if applicable)
- 1-4 passport-type colour photos with your full name written on the back.
University of Belize registration.xenegrade.com
Central America Health Sciences University www.cahsu.edu
Galen University www.galen.edu.bz
Go Overseas Belize www.gooverseas.com
Study Abroad 101 Belize www.studyabroad101.com