Follow all our news on Facebook!

Working in Vietnam


To work in Vietnam, you must apply for a professional or a business visa. In this article, you will have an overview of the employment procedures in the country.

To be able to work in Vietnam, you must have a passport valid for at least six months after the expiry date of your visa. You can choose between a tourist visa which is valid for one month only, and a professional visa or business visa with a maximum validity of six months. However, the number of entries allowed in the country may vary. You can leave and return to Vietnam without having to start again the same procedures. Seek relevant information from the embassy or consulate of Vietnam in your area.


To be eligible for a professional or business visa, you must have a professional partner in the country. He will handle all the procedures for you once you send him your personal information, your passport number and expiration date, as well as details related to the purpose of your stay, the duration of stay and the number of entries in the country.

Once these formalities have been completed, your partner will send you a copy of the authorization issued by the Vietnamese authorities. You will then go to the consular department or the Vietnam embassy in your area, producing two duly completed and signed application forms, a passport-sized photo, plus a copy of your authorization to enter Vietnam.

If you have already found a job from abroad, the company which wants to hire you will complete the formalities on your behalf. However, your employer will have to justify his job offer to a foreigner by proving that the skills and competencies required for this position are not available locally.

Work permit

You will obtain a work permit if you meet all the criteria established by the Vietnamese authorities. You must have it with you when you arrive in the country. To be eligible, you must be over 18 years old, be in good health and have no criminal record. In addition, you must hold a specialist position, for instance, be a manager or executive in a company.

  Good to know:

The duration of your work permit will be equivalent to that of your employment contract. However, the maximum duration is 36 months.

Find a job

To find a job in Vietnam, you can consult a hiring agency, jobs websites and local newspapers. If you have friends or relatives there, they could also help you find a job.

Here are some links that may help you:
Vietnam Xpat Jobs
Job Street
Vietnam Online

Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
1 Comment
3 years ago

in Vietnam. We often use this website: has both English and Vietnamese language.


See also

The economy of Nha Trang in Vietnam is mainly based on tourism, farming, processing and exporting. As an expatriate, you can definitely find a job in this city which attracts over a million tourists each year.
Hue, in Vietnam, is a province which consists of eight economic zones. Each one specializes in specific sectors such as construction, processing of minerals, logistics, etc. Some of these sectors require foreign expertise. You may therefore apply for a job there.
Hai Phong, one of largest cities in Vietnam, offers many job opportunities in different sectors: the port, industry, export, trade, etc. You can apply for a job in the field of your choice if you have the required skills which, above all, are not available locally.
The economy of Da Nang, located in Vietnam, is primarily based on the fields of industry, port, food processing, fisheries, etc. It is not difficult for an expatriate to find a job there. Various opportunities are also available in hotels and in the tourism sector.
If you want to work in Hanoi, capital city of Vietnam, it is best to have found a job before leaving your country. Many job opportunities are available for expatriates in various sectors of the economy. You will need a professional visa to be able to work.

Expatriate health insurance in Vietnam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vietnam

Travel insurance in Vietnam

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Vietnam

Flights to Vietnam

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Vietnam