Working visa in Thailand


Are you looking forward to settle and work in Thailand? Here is some useful information for you.

To be able to work in Thailand, or for a stay of more than three months, you will need to obtain a visa with the Thai diplomacy representatives. In some cases, the visa application can be made directly with the Thai immigration services if you are already in the country. If you are visiting Thailand on a business trip, you will need a work permit along with your visa. This will allow you to work legally in the country.

There are numerous visas, each meeting very specific situations: business, retirement, family, student or professional.

The non-immigrant Visa

The "business visa" (category B), issued by the consulate of Thailand grants a residence permit valid for 3 months (initially, and to carry out all subsequent steps in the country) for any foreigner wishing to do business, invest or work in the country. A business letter is required to obtain a visa. You can obtain extensions on the duration of the visa. Requests are submitted for approval to the various departments and committees dealing with commercial or financial interests of the country.


First of all, the Thai employer must ask the authorization to hire a foreign worker, prooving that there is no local workforce available at the moment. To this end, your employer must submit the WP3 Form to the Office of Foreign Workers of the Ministry of Labor. If the decision is positive, an approval letter will be sent to the applicant, which may then make the visa application.

For a more complete description, please refer to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.

Secondly, you shall proceed to the visa application by providing the following documents: a valid passport, an application form, a passport-type picture taken within the last 6 months, proof of sufficient funds (20,000 bahts for a single person - 40,000 bahts per family), a letter of approval issued by the Thai Ministry of Labour, as well as information on the Thai company which wants to hire you. You will have to pay a processing fee (single entry visa: 2,000 bahts, with multiple entries: 5,000 bahts, visa extension: 1,900 bahts)

Once the visa is issued, you have to apply for a work permit.

Work permit in Thailand

To be able to work in Thailand, you must hold a category B non-immigrant visa and obtain a work permit.

The hiring steps of a foreign worker are:

Evidence that the work done by a foreigner could not be done by a Thai;

Seven Thai workers are employed for a foreigner or 35 workers for a foreign technician (this criterion can be modified anytime);

Social capital is greater than or equal to two million bahts per work permit.

Some occupations require other approvals from other government departments, or are simply forbidden to foreigners. For more information, check with the Ministry of Labour and and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand.

The work permit application may be made by the employer or the foreign worker. You can find more information on the following link:

You can also seek information from the Ministry of Employment or from the work permit service.

The entire procedure is summarized on the Thai immigration website.

Cost of work permits

The cost of work permits is as follows:

750 bahts / 1-3 months
1,500 bahts / 3-6 months
3,000 bahts / 6 months-1 year


No matter your situation, you must register with the immigration office of your area within 90 days.

  Useful links:

Thailand Department of Immigration
Ministry of Labour
Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
1 Comment
3 years ago

You cannot obtain a B visa in Thailand from Thai Immigration! "There are numerous visas, each meeting very specific situations: business, retirement, family, student or professional." True but only one for business, which can have different classes.


See also

Discovering Bangkok: information to get to know the city of Bangkok, The City of Angels
You will be allowed to work in Bangkok after you have landed a job and applied for a work permit. You can be hired in the fields of management, catering and hospitality.

Expatriate health insurance in Thailand

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Thailand

Moving to Thailand

Find tips from professionals about moving to Thailand

Travel insurance in Thailand

Enjoy stress-free travel to Thailand

Flights to Thailand

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Thailand