Retiring in Thailand

I have lived in Thailand for over a year now, on a variety of visas. This week I applied for and received a Retirement Visa, based on proof of monthly income earned abroad, 65,000 Bhat per month. I should mention that I am 60. I had been on a Non B, visa, the first 90 days set to expire Feb 1, 2010., with Work Permit. My employer did not make deductions for my taxes and social insurance and did not register me with these agencies, preventing me from getting an extension on the Non B. So I left the job and changed the visa.

Here is what you need for retirement visa. Application form, Photo, 1,900 Bhat, copies of all pages of your passport with all visa and entry/exit stamps for Thailand. Rent receipts and possibly a form from your landlord stating where you live. A map of your residence.

Affidavit from your embassy stating that you receive 65,000 bhat per month in pensions or other income, so that you do not need to tie up your money in a bank account here. Or you can show a deposit in a Thai bank for 800.000 Bhat, seasoned for two months before you apply. Or a combination of both, money on deposit and monthly income from abroad., regarless, letter from embassy for immigration, does not need to be translated.

I had to hand in my Work Permit and get a receipt from the labor office to show Immigration, but the actual Work Permit was returned to me.

This was probably a little easier for me as I already had the Non B visa. So now I have a visa valid until February 1, 2012, that I can renew yearly thru the same process. I do not have to leave the country every 90 days.If I want to leave the country I must purchase re-entry permits for  1,000 Bhat each or Multiple for 3,800 Bhat. These must be pruchased in advance of your travel from Immigration, they cannot be transferred from one passport to another if you will be cahnging passports soon, before Multiple re-entries may be used. You still must report your address every 90 days or leave the country before 90 days and your 90 days starts again from the date that you arrive.


colbamumbai Active member
Member since 06 January 2011
Roi-ET, Thailand
last year

never heard about TESOL until i hit this site. I think they keep that quiet here because they're scared people might run off. My last attempt was a bach in psychology on open university, costing a total of €14.000, which i had to break because , well youth unemployment is 23% so 40 year old guy who falls between the subsidy ranges of 'fresh-out-of-school' or '50 and work longer' (like myself) couldnt even get a job setting coffee tables or doing dishes over two years. TESOL-course comes from $1100 from what i just read, compared to what i just said here thats dirt cheap this site is VERY interesting, thanks a lot for everything here

2 years ago

I am also a regular visitor (from Australia, over the last 10years) and am looking to retire to Thailand towards the end of 2014. I am 55yo now and want to live a little before I am too old. So when I do come to retire: Step 1: 30day visitors visa step 2: 90day Non-immigration step 3: retirement visa after establishing the required financials. For me a couple of million Baht in the bank. Step 4: renew retirement visa on an annual basis. It that the jist of it ?

3 years ago

Thank you very much for your info. That was very helpful.

3 years ago

Thanks for the info.. I don\'t have any Visa at this point.. I have just been visiting a couple weeks at a time but looking at staying much longer and eventually retiring. What Visa do I ask for? I am from Australia and we actually don\'t apply for a Visa when we visit.. We just get to the airport and they stamp me in and I go through.. the only thing I fill out is a entry card that asks how long I am staying. This is quite confusing so I guess an Australian ex pat might know.

3 years ago

Depends on your visa and if it is a multiple entry etc. If it is good for a year and you have to leave every 90 days, you can just go to Laos or anywhere for a day and come back. If you do this just before the year is up you can get an extra 90 days making it 15 months. Again I do not know what type of visa you have.

3 years ago

Just to understand the 90 days visa thing because I get different stories. I come to thailand for 90 days and the I go home for a week and the I can come back for another 90 days.. and so? I was told 90 days max in a 12 month period? cheers

3 years ago

When you arrive as a visitor you are given a 30 day visitors visa. If you want to stay longer: before you go apply for a visa from your local Thailand consulate/embassy. The price and any more info will be on the consulate website.

4 years ago

Congratulations, and have a good time. Nice article

See also

If you want to work in Thailand, you need to apply for a non-immigrant visa as well as for a work permit. You have to meet some specific criteria to be eligible for a non-immigrant visa in Thailand. Note that the number of foreign workers allowed in Thai companies is very limited.
You will be allowed to work in Bangkok after you have landed a job and applied for a work permit. You can be hired in the fields of management, catering and hospitality.

Questions and answers about visas

Thai Retirement visa
Permanent resident visas
Tourist visa assistance
By markmeb

Expatriate health insurance in Thailand

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Thailand

Moving to Thailand

Find tips from professionals about moving to Thailand

International Money Transfer

Currency Exchange and Money Transfer Specialists

Travel insurance in Thailand

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Thailand

Flights to Thailand

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Thailand