Child care in South Korea


Several types of childcare services exist in South Korea. You can choose among nursery schools, preschools, nannies, etc.

Moving to South Korea with young children requires proper planning. On arrival in the country, you will probably need to find child care services for your children during your working hours. Different types of child care are available in the country, namely nurseries and kindergartens, nannies, etc. Choose the one which best suits your availability and your budget.


In South Korea, child care centers are called “Euh Lin E Jip”. These are managed by local authorities, by companies, private institutions, as well as non-governmental organizations. You can find these everywhere in major South Korean cities. Child care centers offer specialized courses tailored to the needs of more than two years old children. These are open from 7.30 am to 7.30 pm and also welcome three months old babies to five years old kids.

Generally, rates vary according to the number of children you are enrolling at school, as well as the institution's location and level. You could need between 180,000 and 400,000 won per month for child care services.

You may also benefit from government grants if you are married to a Korean, depending on your income and family assets. The request must be made to the local district office by producing your foreigner registration card, your identity card and your South Korean bank account number. You will obtain a “Je Sa Rang” card which you will use to pay for childcare services.

 Good to know:

Multicultural families in South Korea can enroll their children in specially adapted child care centers. Children benefit from programs which have been designed according to their needs.

Preprimary schools

Education is compulsory as from 5 years old in South Korea. In the coming years, preprimary education could become compulsory for 3 and 4 years old children. The preprimary education system follows a program called "Nu Ru Gua Jung" which is aimed at preparing them for primary school.

There are two types of preschools in the country: public schools called "Byung Sul Yoo Chi Won" which are managed by the government, and private schools educational game called "Nol E Hak Gyo". Fees for public schools are lower than those of private schools.

 Good to know:

Educational games schools are not part of the "Nu Ru Gua Jung" government program. Education is, however, focused on learning through games and experience, according to European and international methods.

Nannies and babysitters

If you prefer to entrust your children to a nanny, you will not have trouble in finding one. You can surf the web or contact a recruitment agency. Nannies are paid per hour or per day. You could also opt for a babysitter with the required training and skills.

 Useful links:

Hi Seoul
Multicultural Families Support Center

Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
Write a comment

See also

Your pet must be vaccinated against rabies and have a health card to be able to travel with you to South Korea. It must also wear an identification microchip.
When moving to South Korea, you can import products such as tobacco and alcoholic drinks in small amounts without paying taxes. Fire arms are prohibited.
Whether you are traveling or living in Korea, check out these travel apps that will make your stay easy and comfortable.

Expatriate health insurance in South Korea

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in South Korea

Moving to South Korea

Find tips from professionals about moving to South Korea

Travel insurance in South Korea

Enjoy stress-free travel to South Korea

Flights to South Korea

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to South Korea