Follow all our news on Facebook!

Short-term visas in South Korea


There are different types of short-term visas allowing you to stay in South Korea. Here are some examples...

Apart from the tourist visa, allowing you to stay for a 90 days period in South Korea, there are other types of visa: student visa, conference visa and family visit visa. If you wish to travel to the country for these specific reasons, you can apply for a visa at the South Korea Embassy or consulate in your country. There are specific conditions to be met. Fees apply.

Student visa

To obtain a student visa in South Korea, you must produce:

  • your original passport
  • a passport type photo
  • your duly completed and signed application form
  • a statement indicating the amount that you have on a bank account (so that you cover your expenses during your stay)
  • a copy of your school certificate or your most recent diplomas
  • a photocopy of your resident permit.

Costs of around € 40 apply. The visa will be issued within 5 working days.

 Useful link:

South Korea Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Visa application form

Participate in a conference

If you need to attend a conference in South Korea, you can apply for a specifically designed visa. To qualify for this visa, you must submit your original passport, a passport-size identity photo, a duly completed and signed application form, an invitation letter from South Korea to participate in the conference.

Moreover, you must file a copy of the South Korean company's commercial record, a copy of your presentation to the conference, as well as a program. You must also be in possession of a copy of your ticket, proof of your hotel reservation, an extract of your criminal record and a certificate of employment or education.

Note that visa costs vary according to citizenship, between twenty and sixty euros.

 Useful link:

Visa application form

Family visit visa

If you want to visit family in South Korea, you will need to produce your original passport, a passport-size identity photo, your application form, a complete copy of your marriage certificate, as well as the first 5 pages your spouse's passport and a copy of his or her resident card in South Korea.

Fees apply. The visa will be issued within 5 working days.

 Useful links:

Visa application form

Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
1 Comment
3 years ago

i was here for conference and my document was complete but the Korea immigration did not allow to attend the conference please what should i do be course am still in their airport in seoul


See also

You can apply for a Working Holiday Visa (WHV) if you want to work in South Korea for a year. It allows you to work and study in the country.
If you already have a smart phone, but don't want to commit to a 2 year phone contract, there is an alternative--and it's a lot cheaper!
You are advised to hire international movers if you are planning to settle in South Korea. You should also subscribe to insurance for your belongings.

Expatriate health insurance in South Korea

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in South Korea

Moving to South Korea

Find tips from professionals about moving to South Korea

Travel insurance in South Korea

Enjoy stress-free travel to South Korea

Flights to South Korea

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to South Korea