Traveling to Singapore


You will not need a visa if you intend to stay in Singapore for less than three months. Different visas exist for longer stays.

For a stay of less than 3 months in Singapore, a visa is not necessary for most foreign citizens as well as for nationals from several Commonwealth Countries. Visa-exempt travellers must however be in possession of:

  • a passport, valid at least 6 months after return date;
  • a return-ticket;
  • proof of sufficient funds to sustain themselves in the country.  

Upon arrival in Singapore, immigration agents at the airport will deliver a “social visit pass” corresponding to the authorization of stay for tourism, private purpose or visit and which validity is to be strictly respected. The validity period of the "social visit pass" varies according to each nationality but in general, 14 days are automatically granted. 

If you're from a non visa-exempted country, it is necessary to apply for an “entry visa” or “business” visa at the embassy or consulate of Singapore in your home country. In any case, and in order to determine the requirements with regards to the visa corresponding to your situation, contact the embassy or consulate of Singapore in your area. 

If you are in Singapore on a “social visit pass” and in the case you need to extend your stay, you can apply for a pass extension directly in the country. Up to two additional months can be granted. Application must be filed to the Singapore immigration services.

Please note that it is strictly forbidden to take up any paid activity on a “social visit pass”. 

 Useful links :

Embassy of Singapore in the USA
Embassy of Singapore in the United Kingdom
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Singapore
Immigration and Checkpoint Authority of Singapore

Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
1 Comment
3 years ago

Some nationalities do need a visa even for stays shorter than 3 months. It would be good to list these in the article.


See also

To get married in Singapore, you must apply for a legal capacity to marry certificate at your country's Embassy or Consulate in Singapore.
To be able to drive in Singapore, you will need an international driver's license which is valid for one year. If you intend to stay for more than a year in the country, you will have to apply for a national driver's license with the traffic police.
It is not difficult to find a job in Singapore. You can check out classified ads in local newspapers, job websites, hiring agencies, and even rely on word-of-mouth. You will find job vacancies in various fields.
Various types of accommodation are available in Singapore. If you intend to settle there, you can choose between renting a house, an apartment or a condominium. You can also opt for room-sharing if you are on a short stay. Generally, rent agreements have two years' duration.

Expatriate health insurance in Singapore

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Singapore

Moving to Singapore

Find tips from professionals about moving to Singapore

Travel insurance in Singapore

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Singapore

Flights to Singapore

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Singapore