In this article, find all information about the customs in Japan, licensed products and those which are exempt from tax.
Before moving to Japan, you have to seek information on the products and goods which are authorized in the country and those which are banned. Some products may be subject to control while others are exempt of duty. In any case, these have to be declared at the Japanese Customs Department.
- Alcohol: 3 bottles (75 cl)
- Perfumes: 60 cl
- Tobacco: 500 gr
- Cigars: 100 cigars
- Cigarettes: 400 cigarettes
Good to know:
No duties for personal goods up to 200,000 yens. No major problems to import vacuum-packed cheese or foie gras in Japan. For more information, check out the Japanese customs website.
Restricted or prohibited goods
- Heroin, cocain, opium, cannabis, stimulants, psychotropic substances, and other narcotic drugs (excluding those designated by Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare Ordinance)
- Materials for chemical weapons
- Germs for bio-terrorism
- Counterfeit, altered, or imitation coins, paper money, bank notes or forged credit cards
- Obscene or immoral materials
- Articles infringing upon intellectual property rights
No limitation for currency import. You just have to declare if you import more than € 7,000 in cash.
Japanese customs www.customs.go.jp