Getting married in Hong Kong


Marriage procedures in Hong Kong slightly differ from those applied in China. Find more information in this article…

Marriage is a new stage of life which deserves appropriate planning. As Hong Kong has an independent government, marriage procedures differ from those followed in China. Various types of weddings are celebrated in Hong Kong: civil marriages, religious marriages…. However, gay marriage is not authorized.

 Good to know:

You must be at least 16 years old to be eligible for marriage in Hong Kong. There is no peculiarity in terms of nationality or place of residence.


You have to notify the Hong Kong Civil Status Office of your intention to get married. Documents to be produced are:

  • your passport or identity card
  • the names of both partners
  • proof of your celibacy (certificate of divorce or death certificate in case of a previous marriage)
  • your address
  • your age
  • your profession
  • the names of your parents
  • parental consent if one of the two partners is less than 21 years old.

Once you have completed these formalities, the Civil Status Office will proceed to the publication of bans for a period of at least 15 days. Thereafter, a certificate of capacity to marry will be issued if all conditions have been met and if there is no opposition. You must celebrate your wedding within three months.

Fees of HK $ 305 apply.

Celebrate your marriage

Marriage in Hong Kong can be celebrated before an officer of the Civil State or in a place of worship, or any other place authorized by the Hong Kong authorities. You must, however, inform the marriage registration office. You must also register your marriage in Hong Kong. Procedures should be re engaged if you do not celebrate your wedding during those three months.

 Good to know:

Take an appointment with a Civil Status officer at least 14 days prior to your scheduled wedding date if want your wedding to be celebrated by a public officer. The same applied to the booking of a wedding hall.


You will not be allowed to marry, neither at the Civil Status Office nor in a place of worship without a marriage registration certificate.

 Useful link:

Hong Kong government

Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
Write a comment

See also

To travel to Hong Kong, you have to apply for a visa unless you come from a country whose citizens are exempted from the visa requirement. Check requirements with your embassy.
Hong Kong is mainland China's most prosperous city. Its economy is mainly driven by the tertiary sector, supported by an open labor market.
Setting up a business in Hong Kong has almost become a trend for foreigner as it is not a difficult task, consisting of only three main steps.
Hong Kong is a very popular destination for foreign students and young professionals looking for internship opportunities abroad.
Hong Kong hosts several types of higher education institutions, including post-secondary schools, universities, vocational schools, etc.

Expatriate health insurance in Hong Kong

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Hong Kong

Moving to Hong Kong

Find tips from professionals about moving to Hong Kong

Travel insurance in Hong Kong

Enjoy stress-free travel to Hong Kong

Flights to Hong Kong

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Hong Kong